Dung Beetles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rawlins, Wyoming
When I lived in NE Montana, my fenced "yard" was an acre or so of mostly natural pasture, with Russian Crested wheatgrass planted in it. We didn't mow for the most part, grazed the horses in there sometimes, and the dogs were in the yard most of the time. When they pooped, there were these little dung beetles that started making use of their poos within minutes. The beetles couldn't really keep up with 7 dogs, but they did help with any poos I didn't get scooped.
Here in WY, my yard is in town. I have 3 dogs, no dung beetles. Hmm.
Can anyone tell me why I have no beetles here? I scoop every day and have never seen any evidence of insect interest in the poos.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
They are ineresting bettles, and I cant help you sorry because I dont have them where i live.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I never even realized that we have them here in the U.S. I thought they were exclusive to Africa & they only ate Rhino/Elephant poo!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Maybe the dung beetles wised up and realized that eating dung was disgusting and then became "pie" beetles.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
They just are not present in your specific current locale. I had liked reading about dung beetles ever since I was a very small child. The Egyptian mythological scarab connection was also of interest to me at that age. I would not mind some here.

Status
Not open for further replies.