Naturalized habitat?

seeseeC

I live on 5 acres of land near Nashville, TN. It is surrounded by a lot of grass and trees. Whenever I mow the front acre and the back acre I find at least one box turtle in each area. The rest of our land is mowed regularly and our dogs are allowed to run there so I'm sure that is why we don't find turtles there. I have seen a turtle in the front acre but my husband mows that mostly by riding mower so I can only hope he is still ok out there. I usually mow the back 1/3 or the acre by hand - for exercise - but this last time I mowed it I killed this wonderful little box turtle I have seen from time to time. Usually I can find him and move him as I mow - since I mow by hand - but this time he had moved to the very last part of that area and ...well!!! Now I refuse to mow at all because I know there are other turtles out there and I don't want to kill them. I believe box turtles are becoming endangered are they not? Even if they aren't endangered, I don't want to kill anymore! So, I want to know if I can make a completely fenced in area to keep him in the wild yet protect him from predators including my dogs. If so, how large would it need to be, etc. I have looked at some of the "enclosure" threads but they are so "detailed". I just want to make a place where the turtles can do what they need to do to survive with as little interference from me as possible. I know I will need to have some sort of water source and maybe supplement some food. I don't mind making a "larger screened in enclosure" but I don't want to "have a pet". I don't mind putting up a pen just for them in the front acre and the back if needed. I just want to protect them! Thanks so much for any help received.

AnimalLady

Here's my thoughts on it. If I had the land that you have, goodness I'd be in heaven lol! I'd make that enclosure as large as possible. If you plan to keep them enclosed then you must plan to care for them 100%. You cant put them in an enclosure and let nature takes its course, per say... so I would first try to identify what kind of tort it is so that I can prepare for his/her needs. Maybe try and get some pix of the torts so that members here can identify them for you? That way you can really learn about that specific species and know what to feed them, know their proper habitat, etc etc.

Good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum!

I have the opposite opinion. I think you should not enclose the turtles on your property. Leave them wild to roam freely throughout their territory. If you are worried about mowing any of them, then I would build your fence around the property, then do an extensive search and place any turtles you find on your property outside the fence where they can continue to roam throughout their territory.

AnimalLady

So, if you murder a tort and you dont look back, thats ok?

If you dont want to set up proper housing, thats more than okay...but. why not just do what Yvonne suggested? put a fence around your property to save them from your mower?

seeseeC

WOW...MURDER!!
Well I can't afford to fence in my 5 acres, (my husband and I are retired and living on a fixed income). It sounds like money doesn't seem to be a problem for you so would you be willing to donate the money to put a fence around my land? I would much appreciate it!!

Also, as the thread that I copied and pasted to my above post states...I can't "set up proper housing" for turtles in TN because it is illegal to own such animals in TN. Because the TWRA is so dogmatic about breaking it's rules I would probably end up getting the turtles killed by them....

Those whose wild animal pets were taken, killed say TWRA takes its duty too seriously (with video)
April 6 2014

by Mary Helen Miller Chattanooga Times Free Press Sunday front page

[email protected] or 423-757-6324. view bio

See video:
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...-wildthe-twra-takes-seriously-its-duty/?local

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know that would be very costly. Before I moved to where I live now I lived on a 5 acre parcel. There's no way I would have been able to buy fencing material for 660' x 330' worth of property.

Here's a suggestion for you: If you have kids, tell them you're planning to mow the back 40 tomorrow, so all the kids need to go out early in the morning and cover the whole property looking for turtles. If they find any, take them off the property. A suitable reward for finding any might be a good carrot on a stick.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, darn - retired. That means no kids. I've heard of dogs being trained to find turtles. Maybe that's an option. It kills me to have to mow my desert tortoise yard during September when the babies usually hatch out. The thought of mowing a baby - unthinkable. So I understand what you're going through, believe me.

seeseeC

Thanks for the help and truly good reads - truly - but I just remembered why I don't get on these forums! Best to everyone.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thanks for the help and truly good reads - truly - but I just remembered why I don't get on these forums! Best to everyone.
Hi
What about a boarder rather than a fence. I don't know how good box turtles are at climbing. But something as simple as wood on its edge to stop them getting onto your land.
Just a thought.

seeseeC

The neighbors to my right use their land for horses. The neighbors to my land till for tobacco. My land is the only land around here that is mostly left open for wildlife. But I will try to get some logs and lay them down for land border. Thanks for the idea - it's a helpful one.

seeseeC

The above should have read...
The neighbors to the left of my land till for tobacco...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Question, do you have to mow? Can you leave it and work towards it being a native habitat? Working back in native plants and perhaps a water feature.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
The above should have read...
The neighbors to the left of my land till for tobacco...
With all that land are you not interested in getting any tortoises as pets. Very addictive, educational and interesting hobby once you get into it.

seeseeC

My husband and I were just talking about allowing the back acreage to go back to the wild - allowing for removal of the vines that claim the trees if not controlled. We will put the logs around the "yard" and hopefully keep the turtles out of the manicured areas. We may let the front go back to the wild also though the neighbors may not appreciate it. Hopefully adding water features will keep them interested in staying closer to home though they have a home range with a diameter of 750 feet (230 m). That seems to be the only safe way to help them out and a small price to pay.

It is hard to keep anything safe out in the country because of the predators. My husband and I don't have the money, etc. to properly care for a tortoise. Maybe if I were 20 years younger. Besides, they would live much longer than we have left and then that would be another worry to add. I've had many animals over my life and I know the heart break when one dies. It was hard enough to see the little turtle that I had watch for a couple of years end up dead because I mowed over him! I do admire those who take care of them - turtles and tortoises - as well as any other animals - especially endangered one.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
My husband and I were just talking about allowing the back acreage to go back to the wild - allowing for removal of the vines that claim the trees if not controlled. We will put the logs around the "yard" and hopefully keep the turtles out of the manicured areas. We may let the front go back to the wild also though the neighbors may not appreciate it. Hopefully adding water features will keep them interested in staying closer to home though they have a home range with a diameter of 750 feet (230 m). That seems to be the only safe way to help them out and a small price to pay.

It is hard to keep anything safe out in the country because of the predators. My husband and I don't have the money, etc. to properly care for a tortoise. Maybe if I were 20 years younger. Besides, they would live much longer than we have left and then that would be another worry to add. I've had many animals over my life and I know the heart break when one dies. It was hard enough to see the little turtle that I had watch for a couple of years end up dead because I mowed over him! I do admire those who take care of them - turtles and tortoises - as well as any other animals - especially endangered one.
Sounds like you have an ideal opportunity to create an area and study wild box turtles. Put a boarder around your property, but in one area bring the boarder in onto your land, in hope to attract them into just that area with water features, hides etc.

seeseeC

Guess I now have a perfect hobby to work on...a littler here a little there - not too much at one time! Right now it's time for them to hibernate and with the weather there will be no more mowing for this season. Thanks again everyone. Next year my husband and I will focus on the preservation of the Terrapene Carolina on this land. Thanks again. This has been encouraging. Goodbye and best wishes to you all!