New Care Taker of EBT's

kreagerm

Hello Everyone,

My name is Matt and I live in Maryland. Back on June 10'th my dog led me to a Boxie laying her eggs in the backyard (one acre fenced in yard for the dogs). Since I didn't want the dogs to get to the eggs, because they caught her in the act, I built an enclosure around the eggs. 94 days later 5 little ones came popping out, so I had to make a huge decision. Let them along and sure enough the dogs or other predators (mainly these crows!!!) would probably kill all of them, Or try to raise them until spring when I can let them go, so they may have a better chance at surviving. Well I decided to save the 5 and see what happens. I've already posted the enclosure in the Box turtle section, but I would like to introduce myself to all you Turtle Lovers.

t5.jpg t6.jpg t7.jpg t8.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Matt:

That's a really nice space for your little babies. Be sure to soak them daily for 15 or 20 minutes, as baby box turtles dehydrate very quickly.

kreagerm

Many Thanks!!! I've been researching like crazy but you really don't start learning until it's hands on. I'm learning more and more each day. Since they've been dug-in since yesterday I decided to turn off the UVB light and see what happens. Well 2 decided to come out and then finally they are all out and roaming. I put them in the wading pool so they can get hydrated and to know where it is. Low and behold they found the small wading pool by them selves, they are the neatest little things. Now I need to focus on them eating, I have a felling it could be a while since they still have their yolk sacs.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Matt welcome to the TFO from AZ . Box turtles rule !ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410914370.270316.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

kreagerm

Thanks Grandpa Turtle!!!

Just a fun update!!! I just watched one of my little ones eat his first worm, now hopefully the others will follow!!!!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Turtles and torts are kind of funny if one is eating they all want to eat . So if you got one to eat let the others see him eat and they will eat . Keep us up dated . Have a great tort day :)

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

kreagerm

I hope so!! I have one maybe two who are brave and want to explore. The others are hiders LOL

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Great story!! What a great set up you have for those guys. Thanks for sharing your pics! Would live to see more!

kreagerm

Thank you. I've learned so much from reading through this forum, so informative!!!! The little ones are doing great, eating angle worms and meal worms. Going to be ordering black worms this week, they should love them.