DT Red eyes and wet nose ,help please !

Marym77

Location (City and/or State)
Las vegas
Our desert tortoise woke up about two weeks or so ago . Today my son noticed she had pretty red eyes and mucus on her nose. She’s eating normally. What do we do ? We live in Las Vegas , This is our first post hibernation with her as we just adopted her last September. Kinda freaking out over here . Thank you. ❤️

E1AA62B3-9F28-45F7-B56B-A1823ABCECC4.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Of course, it's too late now, but this is exactly the reason we tell folks to not hibernate a new-to-you tortoise the first winter with you.

The tortoise is eating, and that's quite a hurdle to get over, so you're in good shape. I would not allow the tortoise to get cold at this point. What are your night time temperatures like? If it's still getting cold at night, I'd bring her indoors in the evening and put her back out in the morning. While indoors, you only need a nice cardboard box with a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) positioned over it to keep her warm until morning.

If she stops eating, you'll need to go the antibiotic route. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

You can buy this online:

eye ointment b.jpg

It will sooth those red eyes.

Marym77

Las vegas
Thank you for your reply . We received so much miss information from the previous owners . She was primarily fed on dry food pebbles and kale . Kept all her life in a plastic Rubbermaid tub with no access to anything other than a small concrete patio and some free roam of the inside of their house .
So this is all new to her and us .
Night temps have been on the 50s/60s and going up this week .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for your reply . We received so much miss information from the previous owners . She was primarily fed on dry food pebbles and kale . Kept all her life in a plastic Rubbermaid tub with no access to anything other than a small concrete patio and some free roam of the inside of their house .
So this is all new to her and us .
Night temps have been on the 50s/60s and going up this week .
The tortoise can warm up in the sin during the day, but it will help if it can stay warmer at night for a while too. Many ways to accomplish this. Electric heat of one sort or another, bring her inside, make a heated night box for shelter and warmth, etc...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Our desert tortoise woke up about two weeks or so ago . Today my son noticed she had pretty red eyes and mucus on her nose. She’s eating normally. What do we do ? We live in Las Vegas , This is our first post hibernation with her as we just adopted her last September. Kinda freaking out over here . Thank you. ❤️

View attachment 270820

How was the tort kept prior to moving in with you? How/where did the tort spend the winters? I don't see anything alarming (in your pic)...but pics don't always show all....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

View attachment 270820

Oh yeah, what size/age is the tortoise?

Cndlou0309

Pasadena CA
So glad to read this post. I didn’t realize they should not be allowed to hibernate the first winter in a new environment.
My two DTs are from An area only 15-20 miles from me (with very similar weather/humidity etc where they are with me now)
Id love to learn more about how to care for DTs in particular. Any ideas where I can find that info?
Also I went out this afternoon to find Al, big boy on his back! I don’t think he was too long like that, but not sure! I flipped him over & he ate grass immediately. He found his way to the shady bamboo “forest” along my fence! I hope he is ok!
They’re free ranging in my back yard. Al usually goes into the Eglu Omlet chicken coop in the evening. I’ll check in him in a bit.
Thank you for any & all suggestions!!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
So glad to read this post. I didn’t realize they should not be allowed to hibernate the first winter in a new environment.
My two DTs are from An area only 15-20 miles from me (with very similar weather/humidity etc where they are with me now)
Id love to learn more about how to care for DTs in particular. Any ideas where I can find that info?
Also I went out this afternoon to find Al, big boy on his back! I don’t think he was too long like that, but not sure! I flipped him over & he ate grass immediately. He found his way to the shady bamboo “forest” along my fence! I hope he is ok!
They’re free ranging in my back yard. Al usually goes into the Eglu Omlet chicken coop in the evening. I’ll check in him in a bit.
Thank you for any & all suggestions!!!
I hate to bring bad news but it sounds like they were fighting.