Drying grasses

DawnH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
I've been drying grasses in preparation for winter. This batch has a ton of leaves... do I need to remove the bulk of them? They are Oak and Crepe Myrtle. Tuleo has never been interested in them before (he prefers is CM leaves green) and I don't know how (if any) this will affect my dry mix/storage.

Thoughts?

20150906_161150.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I've been drying grasses in preparation for winter. This batch has a ton of leaves... do I need to remove the bulk of them? They are Oak and Crepe Myrtle. Tuleo has never been interested in them before (he prefers is CM leaves green) and I don't know how (if any) this will affect my dry mix/storage.

Thoughts?

View attachment 147215

My gut says remove the leaves..especially if the leaves are not a fav to begin with..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If they are not tort safe I would remove them. Even if he doesn't seem to like them, he may when dry and if they are toxic, that could be bad. If they are not bad for torts, leave them in.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
It shouldn't affect your storage. I look for and remove any unwanted items when preparing the clippings to feed. I think oak leaves are ok if dried but they are something I don't have to deal with. You could always take the batch with a lot of leaves and mix it with another batch (or more) that don't have many leaves, I do this sometimes, I just lay the clippings back on the ground one batch dumped on top the other and go over them again with the mower to mix them together.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Thanks everyone! I know the green oak leaves can cause issues but dry are fine. Crepe Myrtle are fine regardless. Len, that was my plan. To mix it with what I have existing. They fall in his pen now and he ignores them but they irk me for some reason. I might just pay the kids $1 each to remove them...lol

I appreciate the input everyone!