Dry substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

tofuqueen

10 Year Member!
I'm having a hard time judging how damp my Russian Tortoise's substrate should be. It's a 70/30 mix of organic top soil and play sand. I've read on other threads that people add a cup or so of water and mix up the substrate every few days. However, mine seems to dry out every day and need more water. Is that normal? I just don't want to have it too damp... but on the other hand, not to dry either. Can someone also point me in the right direction for some info on avoiding pyramiding? I've heard it has to do with the humidity levels, but I need to learn more about this. Should a Russian's shell be completely smooth or should the scutes have a slight raise to them? My tort's scutes are very slightly raised in the back area. I've only had him for a little over 2 months. I rescued him from his previous owner who had him for a few months in "not so ideal" living conditions! I just want to make sure there's no long term damage or anything.
Thanks! :)

M

Maggie Cummings

you should be able to squeeze a handful of soil and have it hold it's shape when you open your hand. That might mean you are pouring 2 cups of water daily or every other day depending on your lights.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southern cal.
I just make sure my substrates doesn't drip any water when you squeeze it. Its normal for substrates to dry out, but it can also vary on how hot your lights are and even the ambient air. If your tort were to be raised with correct diet, lighting, and humidity from start to finish, he would have a smooth carapace. But since he he was living in non-ideal ways, his scutes won't be perfect. You can stop it from continuing though with the forums help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.