Dry Head on Redfoot

lessly

Location (City and/or State)
Orlando
Hi! I brought this Redfoot hatchling home about 3 weeks ago now, close to 4 months old now as far as I was told. I’ve noticed his skin is getting more and more flaky and now it looks a little greenish around the beak so I’m somewhat concerned. Is this normal shedding or should I try some at home treatments/ go to a vet? He has average 80-85% humidity in his enclosure, 88 degrees at his basking spot. I’m using reptibark substrate with some sphaglum moss mixed in for moisture. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 17903AC4-FC38-4B13-ACE8-EF06752C5660.jpeg
    17903AC4-FC38-4B13-ACE8-EF06752C5660.jpeg
    861.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 0AD365D3-AD6E-4561-8B27-6CAFD57F899E.jpeg
    0AD365D3-AD6E-4561-8B27-6CAFD57F899E.jpeg
    883 KB · Views: 2
  • 8E1CA472-9058-4F94-9739-D1D04632BA7F.jpeg
    8E1CA472-9058-4F94-9739-D1D04632BA7F.jpeg
    900.1 KB · Views: 2

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Hi! I brought this Redfoot hatchling home about 3 weeks ago now, close to 4 months old now as far as I was told. I’ve noticed his skin is getting more and more flaky and now it looks a little greenish around the beak so I’m somewhat concerned. Is this normal shedding or should I try some at home treatments/ go to a vet? He has average 80-85% humidity in his enclosure, 88 degrees at his basking spot. I’m using reptibark substrate with some sphaglum moss mixed in for moisture. Any help would be appreciated.
His entire enclosure should be average 84 degrees. Redfoots don't need a basking spot or a hot and cool side. Also you should be giving him a 30 min soak in warm water every day.

lessly

Orlando
His entire enclosure should be average 84 degrees. Redfoots don't need a basking spot or a hot and cool side. Also you should be giving him a 30 min soak in warm water every day.
He gets daily soaks but maybe too short then, only 15 mins. I’ll centralize his heat lamp so it’s all the same. Is it just dry skin from being dehydrated?

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
He gets daily soaks but maybe too short then, only 15 mins. I’ll centralize his heat lamp so it’s all the same. Is it just dry skin from being dehydrated?
I would say that is the main cause. Also do you have hard water? It could be making it appear more dry. How is the little guys poops? Color, size, consistency.

lessly

Orlando
I would say that is the main cause. Also do you have hard water? It could be making it appear more dry. How is the little guys poops? Color, size, consistency.

They’re dark greenish black color maybe thumbnail size and mostly solid. He poops daily. I use filtered tap water, looking up my local tap it’s definitely harder than average.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
They’re dark greenish black color maybe thumbnail size and mostly solid. He poops daily. I use filtered tap water, looking up my local tap it’s definitely harder than average.
A good size poop out of them is about the length of their body. Otherwise it sounds like it looks right.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
The greenish hue on the lower beak is, most likely, because of greens he eats.

White stains could be because of hard water. Tortoises don't shed all at once. Do you use filtered water for drinking or soaking him? Spray some filtered water over the black surface and let it dry on the sun - you should see stains too if the filter doesn't cope. Water hardness is sometimes seasonal.

How do you maintain humidity in the enclosure? If it's a fogger, mister or ultrasonic himidifier and it's not filled with a distilled water - that could be the reason.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
The Reptibark is fine by itself. The moss should be removed, he may eat it and get impaction in his gut. Can you post some pictures of the enclosure?

lessly

Orlando
Thanks for the responses. I’ll need to redo his enclosure without the moss as I’d gotten it for humidity while I was waiting for my fogger to come in. The fogger I use has the same filtered water and it probably is what’s drying up his head… I will adjust and report back if there’s an improvement, thanks all.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Thanks for the responses. I’ll need to redo his enclosure without the moss as I’d gotten it for humidity while I was waiting for my fogger to come in. The fogger I use has the same filtered water and it probably is what’s drying up his head… I will adjust and report back if there’s an improvement, thanks
With just Reptibark and proper heat sources you won't need the fogger.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks for the responses. I’ll need to redo his enclosure without the moss as I’d gotten it for humidity while I was waiting for my fogger to come in. The fogger I use has the same filtered water and it probably is what’s drying up his head… I will adjust and report back if there’s an improvement, thanks all.
Moss does hold in moisture. It's good with DART FROGS. But not with tortoises.
If you use something like orchid bark and inside a closed chamber enclosure you won't need a fogger or any type of humidifier.
It's an unnecessary complexity