Shell rot or fungus on baby cherry head

rcilee

Location (City and/or State)
Kuala Lumpur
Hello tortoise lovers! I’m Rachel and I live in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia which I think is a fairly similar climate to South America. I recently got two baby cherry head tortoises, about two weeks ago. I‘m concerned about one of them. When I brought it home, it already had these white patches on it’s carapace. I’ve been monitoring it often and the white patches don’t seem to be spreading or growing. The patches are not soft and they don’t scratch off (I used my finger, gently). The plastron is fine. I keep them in an open top tub with coconut coir and husk. I keep their home on the patio and move it in and out of harsh direct sunlight in case it gets too hot during the day. Average outdoor temperatures are around 88 - 91 F (31 - 33 C). Their substrate is moist to encourage evaporation and create humidity. I’m first time mother to tortoises and have grown so much love for them in such a short amount of time. I’m hoping this great community of tortoise lovers may provide some much needed advice on how to give these babies the best life possible. Thanks so much!

Attachments

• 6F25E240-2100-4422-A0A8-3DCE109DB322.jpeg
    6F25E240-2100-4422-A0A8-3DCE109DB322.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 36

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've seen these spots before.
They're nothing to worry about.
Make sure that their outdoor enclosure has a lot of shady areas so that they can escape the bright sun and high heat.

rcilee

Kuala Lumpur
I've seen these spots before.
They're nothing to worry about.
Make sure that their outdoor enclosure has a lot of shady areas so that they can escape the bright sun and high heat.

Hi ZEROPILOT,

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm relieved to hear that the white marks shouldn't be any cause for concern. And thank you for the advice on providing adequate shady areas for their enclosure. It certainly has been quite sunny in Kuala Lumpur lately!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi ZEROPILOT,

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm relieved to hear that the white marks shouldn't be any cause for concern. And thank you for the advice on providing adequate shady areas for their enclosure. It certainly has been quite sunny in Kuala Lumpur lately!
You'll notice that when the sun is the brightest, your little RF will hide in the shade.