Getting a 10 inch leopard tortoise from CA to NC

LHosk

Location (City and/or State)
Garden Grove, California
Hello
I will be moving from southern California to western North Carolina in a few months. I have NO IDEA how I am going to get my 10 inch, 6 pound leopard tortoise across the country (without driving him). Is there some airline that will allow a tortoise onboard, in the cargo hold or in the cabin?? I really am desperate for information at this point. Is there some other way to ship a medium sized tortoise, safely?
Thank you for any info you can give!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
How long is the drive

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
@Tom I think just used a company out your way? Maybe he can help

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello
I will be moving from southern California to western North Carolina in a few months. I have NO IDEA how I am going to get my 10 inch, 6 pound leopard tortoise across the country (without driving him). Is there some airline that will allow a tortoise onboard, in the cargo hold or in the cabin?? I really am desperate for information at this point. Is there some other way to ship a medium sized tortoise, safely?
Thank you for any info you can give!
You can do FedEx overnight, or Delta cargo. There may be temperature restriction for Delta. United also has a pet friendly shipping service. Don't know if they still do or not.

If you do FedEx drop off at the hub and have them hold the tortoise at the receiving hub. Don't have it go to a residence address. Pick it up at the hub near the destination. Use Reptiles2you.com for the shipping label and you'll save a ton of money, and their system will give you a list of hubs near the destination to choose from. Only ship on a Tuesday or Wednesday and don't ship on holiday weeks.

No airline will allow you to carry one on, but I recently discovered a way to do it anyway. If you call and ask, you'll be told no. You have to be pretty bold and sure of yourself to pull it off.

LHosk

Garden Grove, California
You can do FedEx overnight, or Delta cargo. There may be temperature restriction for Delta. United also has a pet friendly shipping service. Don't know if they still do or not.

If you do FedEx drop off at the hub and have them hold the tortoise at the receiving hub. Don't have it go to a residence address. Pick it up at the hub near the destination. Use Reptiles2you.com for the shipping label and you'll save a ton of money, and their system will give you a list of hubs near the destination to choose from. Only ship on a Tuesday or Wednesday and don't ship on holiday weeks.

No airline will allow you to carry one on, but I recently discovered a way to do it anyway. If you call and ask, you'll be told no. You have to be pretty bold and sure of yourself to pull it off.
thank you so much Tom. I will check out those options.

Reactions: Tom

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA

emotional support tortoise ? lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
emotional support tortoise ? lol
Nah. The airlines don't allow that anymore. Not even with dogs. Service animals only now, and there is some documentation to fill out as well.

Shellnewbie89

Jalisco
Nah. The airlines don't allow that anymore. Not even with dogs. Service animals only now, and there is some documentation to fill out as well.
Tom what's the bold transportation method Im super curious?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom what's the bold transportation method Im super curious?
When you come to the airport the airline does not inspect your luggage or carry on baggage. They don't even ask you about it. Not their deal. TSA inspects your luggage and carry on bags. There is nothing in the TSA regs about carrying on a live harmless reptile in a container. TSA is not there to enforce airline policy. They are there to enforce TSA policy. Get it?

Walk up to the TSA counter and show them what you've got and allow them to inspect your animal and its container. Print out a copy of the TSA rules ahead of time. If the TSA person says you can't bring it on the plane, ask them to show you where it says that in their rules. It doesn't say that. If they say the airline doesn't allow that, you tell them that is not their concern and you will take that up with the airline, which, of course, you won't once you get through the TSA screening.

I was with someone who did this with two turtles (legal species and CB) on an international flight, and I know of one other person who has done it with small tortoises. It can be done, but you've really got to act like you know what you are doing, and they have to believe it.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
When you come to the airport the airline does not inspect your luggage or carry on baggage. They don't even ask you about it. Not their deal. TSA inspects your luggage and carry on bags. There is nothing in the TSA regs about carrying on a live harmless reptile in a container. TSA is not there to enforce airline policy. They are there to enforce TSA policy. Get it?

Walk up to the TSA counter and show them what you've got and allow them to inspect your animal and its container. Print out a copy of the TSA rules ahead of time. If the TSA person says you can't bring it on the plane, ask them to show you where it says that in their rules. It doesn't say that. If they say the airline doesn't allow that, you tell them that is not their concern and you will take that up with the airline, which, of course, you won't once you get through the TSA screening.

I was with someone who did this with two turtles (legal species and CB) on an international flight, and I know of one other person who has done it with small tortoises. It can be done, but you've really got to act like you know what you are doing, and they have to believe it.
And... You have to be prepared to do something with the tortoise if it doesn't work. For example - have someone at the airport to see if you get past TSA. If not, they can take the tortoise back for you.