Dragon Questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chreees

5 Year Member
Hey I am interested in buying a Bearded Dragon tomorrow due to the local breeder pet shop is having sales on baby Dragons tomorrow and I was wondering what should I get with him? Tank, Dishes, Food, Lights Logs, and all of that good stuff. Basically can someone start me out with a good list they aren't big Beardies they are still babys so like tank size 10 gal 20 gal 30 gal? You get the point. Thanks for reading.
-Chris

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Suffolk, UK
Can't you get 2?! I used to keep them years ago, so can't remember a lot, but they are active, so I had mine in a 5 foot viv, and they had a heat mat with thermostat, and a raised log with a basking lamp which they really loved! I remember having a very small particle substrate in case they grabbed up and swallowed big bits while catching their crickets! Oh, Nutrobal to shake on their crickets in a bag! Sorry, I'm not really any help, as I can't remember a lot! :)

Chreees

5 Year Member
Everything helps! This is the best site in my opinion I have ever been on. Everyones so helpful and friendly. I wish I could get two but seeing as every animal I get has to stay in my room. I already have Thor and he takes up a whole table. I have no problem handling him as I am a gamer and my room is already tortoise proof because Thor likes to wander from time to time so I am not worried about his energy factor. I heard reptile carpet or paper towels were best to keep them with. I guess my main concern is size for now. I am aware I will have to buy a bigger one eventually and he would rarely be in his cage when hes in my room lol

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Suffolk, UK
Yeah, it's great on here isn't it?! Ha ha, I had everything in my room when I lived at mums! I had Beardy's, a newt and a tree frog, hamsters, rats, a chipmunk, and a Cuban Anole lol! My Beardy's liked sitting on my neck lol! Don't think there was any such think as reptile carpet when I had mine! I don't like the idea of the paper with the lamp though! If you're getting a baby, I don't see why a 2/3 foot viv/tank wouldn't be ok to start with, as long as he gets time out!

Chreees

5 Year Member
I have a 10 gal that the moron before my kept thor in. I was livid and instantly got him a table. I feel like a 10 gal would be too small though... Even with the time out. I need to get a job to buy more pets but I am afraid I would buy everything and have no personal room haha

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Suffolk, UK
What's a 10 gallon tank in feet? Poor Thor being kept in a little tank! :( Some people are so ignorant! Ha ha, you sound like me when I was younger! Just had room for my bed lol! Now I have kids, I've learned I can't rescue everything, and I have to say no sometimes, but it's hard!

Chreees

5 Year Member
Not sure will measure it tomorrow... I know right! Hes much happier (and lazier now) I get it from my mom all she does is rescues or trys to convince my dad. If it wasn't for him I think we'd have 30 cats and dogs ahah

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Suffolk, UK
Ha ha, my parents were never like that, it was just me! Are you young? Sorry, you don't have to answer that!

Chreees

5 Year Member
17... So just about considered an adult I suppose.... Very mature though... I mean I go out and party but not like a I used to as I have an acid reflux problem I am waiting to outgrow. I turn 18 August 24th

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Suffolk, UK
He he, I'm nosey aren't I?! I thought you were young! Ouchy, acid reflux sounds painful. I hope it goes soon, it must be horrible for you!

Chreees

5 Year Member
Lol its all good we all have our moments :) Well its not like heartburn I rarely get heartburn even before i got this problem... Its like a lump in my throat and my chest would get tight. Its pretty much gone I just don't wanna try it. I have meds that help though...a little. Its from me smoking and my unhealthy diet in the volleyball offseason which I have cut back a lot on (Both bad diet and smoking)

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Suffolk, UK
It sounds really scary! Give up smoking, nasty nasty! Can't be good for your tortoise either.

Chreees

5 Year Member
I dont smoke in the house and I don't go near him when I smoke :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I highly recommend you only get one.

Set up is pretty similar to a tortoise for me. Give them a basking spot around 100. I like to use slate or flagstone for this to help keep their nails trimmed. They are one of the species the NEED UV, so if it won't be getting direct sunshine regularly all year long pick up a mercury vapor bulb. I highly recommend against the coil type UV bulbs and the pet store will probably recommend one to you. None of the florescent bulbs give adequate UV from my experience, despite what the people trying to sell them say. Start your dubia colony early too. If you don't know what dubia are, you soon will... hahahaaaa :D

As in Blaptica dubia...

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Suffolk, UK
Chreees said:
I dont smoke in the house and I don't go near him when I smoke :)

It's good you don't smoke near him, but you should still give up for you! :D

Chreees

5 Year Member
I def am working on it seeing as I am getting offers from DII volleyball schools. On topic I am getting a Beardie tomorrow! Friends giving me a 3 foot long tank tomorrowq for 10!

Chreees

5 Year Member
Metoo! Lol I can't wait. I will def post lots of pics when I get him

Chreees

5 Year Member
Unfortunately..... .Since whenever I need something or wanna get something my parents decide they wanna go to the San Fran so I never got him today and the shop I am gonna go to is closed Sundays have to wait ALL the way until Monday.... And it sucks because I need to get Thor new substrate.... We'll see if I get him Monday( Doubt it....)

Status
Not open for further replies.