Dozer (sulcata)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jupiterannette

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
this is dozer my 5yo sulcata i recently got he has some pyramiding we are hoping to stop that with some good care :)
dozer.jpg

dozer9.jpg

dozer8.jpg

dozer7.jpg

dozer5.jpg

dozer4.jpg

dozer3.jpg

dozer2.jpg

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Very pretty Sulcata did you rescue him? :) Are you in an area that he can go outside soon or does he need to stay in for the winter? I hear they're very active little guys. Are you sure he's a male since he's only 5 years old?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I love sulcatas. Does he eat the dry grass yet? Sometimes the little ones are a bit reluctant at first. I usually grab a clump and some scissors and cut up pieces of it over the favorite foods. Then I mix it all up and they can't help eating at least a little.

I am working toward the day when pyramiding no longer happens because everyone knows to keep babies humid. Spread the word, please.

Good luck with him and have fun!

Jupiterannette

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
he has the v under not the u and the top shell scoops under so he is def a boy, looks JUST like the pics :)

as for the hey he LOVES timothy, we just rescued him, he is very new to us, we are in Massachusetts so he has to stay in for winter but spring is around the corner and he will have some fine grazing to do last spring i had planted a tort garden for my libby who passed away, and now we have dozer so he can live the legacy we started for her :)

so we got "dozer" home, he is pyramiding a little but i dont think it is too bad, what im more concerned about is he is filthy, he is actually dusty on his shell, like dust you would fund on a shelf.... in my house :) lol and his belly is blackened in the crevices with filth, I just gave him a bath and he looks better al ready, i used a soft toothbrush to clean him up in warm water, and he is relaxing uner the heat now, looking quit happy!

we have him set up in a 40 breeder for now, on cypress mulch, with pink stone under a 150watt ceramic heater and a 10 uvba light he has a water bowl timothy hey and i gave him some fresh greens and a baby carrot for tonight. sprinkled with calcium with D3

his temp in the basking is 80-83ish and the cooler end is 65-70ish

he is 5 years old and his shell is 8 in long and 6 in wide.
he is already very heavy :) im told he is a good eater, he is very scared i hope with time he will be as social as my libby was but i will love him even his he is bashful.

i have taken the resoces from here, a few books, and a few local reptile "experts" i know and come to what im doing is the general consensus, I know there are many opinions but i just want him to be happy.

BethyB1022

5 Year Member
Good luck with your new friend! He looks like a sweetie. Hopefully with time he'll be less shy, it sounds like you are off to a good start :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your temps sound a bit cool to me. I've had good success with the cool side around 75 and the warm side around 85 with a relatively small basking spot of 100-120. This will be difficult in a 40. When it comes to housing sulcatas, bigger is better. When mine were this size, their indoor cage was 4'x8' and I felt it was too cramped. I realize that may be a bit much for some, but you'll have better results in something bigger and opaque.

Jupiterannette

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i covered part of the tank to keep the heat in raised the overall temp 5 degrees last night.. basking is 85ish, cool end is 75ish... he still isnt moving about, just hanging out hiding in his shell under the heat :(

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
It might take him a while to get use to his surroundings. Sounds like he's in a good home now. Good luck with him and there is a lot of people on here with very good experience with sulcata's and they are always willing to help others. :)

Jupiterannette

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thank you all for you help, he ate all his salad while i was out doing errands and a good amount of his hey too, made a mass of his water bowl and is now napping, so i think hes gonna be ok! :))))) yeah!!!!!!!

thank you!

M

Maggie Cummings

It takes a while for them to get settled. I am sure he will start eating soon. But there's 4 things I believe that are necessary to stop/prevent pyramiding, humidity about 80%, correct diet that being mostly grasses and weeds, exercise and UVB. Get all 4 of those going correctly and the pyramiding will stop. But humidity is so important so make sure you get that right. He's small for his age but I am sure once you get the 4 things all working right he'll do fine. I keep Sulcata in Oregon where they have to be kept inside for about 7 months. You'll do fine in Mass...

Status
Not open for further replies.