dose anyone think growing and selling cactus pads here are a good idea

awesomecs

5 Year Member
I was thinking about selling cactus pads on eBay and advertising them here I saw there prices and there not that great so I decided to at least try to sell some cactus pads here to earn some money for a better heat lamp the energy is getting lower =[ nd winter coming AAAAH so I really need to earn money so if you think its a good idea just say I had second thoughts just say please

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Try it and see if it works out .

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Are you already growing them? Small scale is probably not worth it unless you're just selling excess.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
I was thinking about selling the one pounder pads....... lol is that good?

awesomecs

5 Year Member
I was thinking about growing those giant pads with the fruit and sell the fruit and pads and I could dice them up and make a cactus tortoise diet =]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It probably wouldn't be worth your while. Opuntia and its fruit are available in the store. Look for Nopal and Nopalitas.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
It probably wouldn't be worth your while. Opuntia and its fruit are available in the store. Look for Nopal and Nopalitas.

ok so any other ways to get money or should I just make prickly pear

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
To be blunt, no I don't think it is a good way to make money. I don't think it is cost-effective, when people say bulk they mean bulk. By the time you add in shipping costs etc. I don't feel you could make any money. It may not be a lot of fun, but find people that need odd jobs done around the house or yard. Jobs you can do on your own or help somebody and they would pay you. Pet sitting, housesitting, dog walking, dog wash, car wash those are also some options.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Well, it's a little too late in the year. Maybe next year you could garden vegetables or nice flowers and sell them. You can grow plants inside for your tortoise to eat. Won't make you any money but your tortoise will appreciate it. And you won't have to spend money at the grocery store for its food.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
ha I already started growing tory food at spring time I give her fresh greens already

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If you're not careful with eBay, you can easily lose money. You have to account for the fees eBay charges and if you use Paypal to receive the money, there'd be fees there as well (I think, I haven't sold anything on eBay/Paypal in forever). You'd need to get an accurate estimate on shipping so you don't low ball it and have to pay for the shipping yourself. I once bought something on eBay that was large and bulky (but relatively light) for like $25 with free shipping, when it arrived the postage on the label was like $32. I can only assume they calculated the postage based on weight and figured it into the $25 but ended up having to pay for it being oversized and lost $7 on the deal.

I'd start with farmers markets if you want to sell some sort of produce or plants.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
thanks for the warning guys woooh good thing I dint do that but I still need to earn money for torys new heat bulb her old bulb is draining out fast =[

Prairie Mom

I think it's great that you're looking for ways to make money to care for your tortoise. I do worry that most parents would be uncomfortable with their teen exchanging personal info for business transactions over the web. Make sure you chat with your family about the safest ways to do this.

Other ideas for money...
-Maybe you and your friends could get together and have a teen-targeted garage sale. You would need to have a lot of stuff out to get people who are willing to stop by. Try putting some cool spray paint stensils on old skateboards decks, cheaply make artwork & t-shirts, and movie/music stuff that your classmates like in addition to regular garage sale stuff. You could try selling plants there too.

-lawn mowing is a good suggestion. Offer help for any yard work: raking leaves, weeding etc...

-there are thrift stores that will pay you money for clothes and goods in good condition. Look into those.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
Are you saying that the mercury vapor bulb is getting low? Or just a regular bulb for heat?

it came with a heat bulb that's getting low I don't think its murcery the funny thing is I'm saving up for a murcery

awesomecs

5 Year Member
I think it's great that you're looking for ways to make money to care for your tortoise. I do worry that most parents would be uncomfortable with their teen exchanging personal info for business transactions over the web. Make sure you chat with your family about the safest ways to do this.

Other ideas for money...
-Maybe you and your friends could get together and have a teen-targeted garage sale. You would need to have a lot of stuff out to get people who are willing to stop by. Try putting some cool spray paint stensils on old skateboards decks, cheaply make artwork & t-shirts, and movie/music stuff that your classmates like in addition to regular garage sale stuff. You could try selling plants there too.

-lawn mowing is a good suggestion. Offer help for any yard work: raking leaves, weeding etc...

-there are thrift stores that will pay you money for clothes and goods in good condition. Look into those.

thanks ill try a garage sale