Don't think my tortoise is very happy :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

tc1982

5 Year Member
I have had my year old spur thigh for a month but I don't think he is very happy

He sleeps all the time except for when I wake him up for a bath. He enjoys this and usually goes to the toilet

Then when he goes back with fresh food he seems really uninterested. He eats so little. I am giving him different types of dark green veggies that I have checked and sometimes a small amount of tomatoe or carrot. Dandelion leaves if I can get them. Living in London it is hard to find weeds believe it or not!

He does bask under his lamp for a bit, has a roam about for a bit and then burys himself again.

I work in the day so don't know what he is up to but I don't think he is about

I bought him from a pet shop so am thinking to take him to the vet? His table set up and temperatures are right so I can't work it out

Help please :-(

gregcalverley0327

10 Year Member!
RE: Don't this my tortoise is very happy :-(

Pictures of the setup would be helpful but younger torts do sleep alot so it could be nothing. I'm sure others will help out also

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA

how do you determine what is 'happy' for a tortoise? Its really an emotion they have. If the needs are met and its eating and sleeping.. that is what they do...
but send a pic and temps, diet etc...

tc1982

5 Year Member

Actually I think it might be a bit cold at one end? Basking side is 30-20c and the other end is 20-21c. Is that too cold? Should I get a ceramic bulb for the other end to get it up a bit?

Will get a pic

Diet is above

Also should I bath and feed him in the morning? He has fresh food morning and night anyway but I don't get him and bathed up until I get home from work

wickwack

5 Year Member

tc1982 said:
Actually I think it might be a bit cold at one end? Basking side is 30-20c and the other end is 20-21c. Is that too cold? Should I get a ceramic bulb for the other end to get it up a bit?

Will get a pic

Diet is above

Also should I bath and feed him in the morning? He has fresh food morning and night anyway but I don't get him and bathed up until I get home from work

Hi, did you get your issues solved? I dont have a spur thigh, i have a yellow foot. I think temperatures are your problem.

20-21 c is way too low. My torts temps rarely go below 25.

Usually if they sleep at a temp lower then 24-25 they will be very unlikely to eat the next day, and even if i raise it that same day they wont eat much.. they need to sleep at a temp above 24 and that will get them eating again the next day...

you will figure this out as you go, but yeah your temps are way too low, specially if the sleep in that 20-21 degree area

Status
Not open for further replies.