DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Tom said:
diamondbp said:
HerbsMommy said:
Plus if its not soaked (for hatchlings and little ones, anyway) it will expand in their stomach and can cause severe stomach problems

I think thats a good point

Okay. Fair enough. Have you personally ever seen this happen? Or know of it happening to someone?

OK...perhaps you guys didn't see it the first time...

If you do opt to feed dry...you're going to need to soak your torts more often...to encourage them to drink more!

Also! I don't know if I mentioned it before or not...

When I add water to the ingredients...I let it sit until ALL the water is absorbed! What's funky? Nothing gets left behind...the Sudans eat first...what's leftover...the BEAST finishes!

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
I soak just enough for all the water to be absorbed and it still isn't mushy. It makes it easier to eat!

Someone mentioned ants. I hate ants... Ugh!!

Thanks,
Shelly

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Thanks for re-sharing your former links Dean. Duly noted. Super healthy eating. That lasagna should cover all bases! The meatballs, too. Your sulcatas show it. Beauties! Love the recipes and the torties. : )

HerbsMommy

5 Year Member
Yes, my breeder is the one who warned me of it, she made the mistake herself and has had some of her customers have the same problem

I'm not taking the chance on my baby. His pellet soaks up just as much water as needed to make it soft. Everything's running smooth for him :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
HerbsMommy said:
Yes, my breeder is the one who warned me of it, she made the mistake herself and has had some of her customers have the same problem

I'm not taking the chance on my baby. His pellet soaks up just as much water as needed to make it soft. Everything's running smooth for him :)

Good to know.

I do it the same way you do it. Nice and mushy, but no "extra" water.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Mark, what is the basis for your share here...and I mean that not in a rude way...but honestly know you generally :)P) don't just spout off without a source...:D

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
wellington said:
I do the same as Masin. All water is absorbed. Doing it like this, are we still lessening the nutrient value? I assumed not.

Same here...just enough water/moisture to soften them.

HerbsMommy said:
Plus if its not soaked (for hatchlings and little ones, anyway) it will expand in their stomach and can cause severe stomach problems

That's been my belief, as well.

By using just enough fluid to soften the pellets us, my torts seem to have no issues.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I have overwatered my Mazuri before, so I see what Mark means. I popped a few for my babies in their soaking tub (before soaking them) and forgot. You can see some residue on top of the water when you do that so I imagine if people soak them in too much water, there goes some good stuff. Less is more, yes.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Don't soak Mazuri or other pellets

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
I have overwatered my Mazuri before, so I see what Mark means.

Less is more.

Guilty here, too.

It really is...

Now I just barely wet it enough to mix it with grass. I want them to eat their grass! :D

Sent from my TFOapp

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I soak pellets (I don't use Mazuri) in pure organic aloe juice. I am more concerned about wasting the aloe juice than loosing nutrients through leaching. The soaking container has no spare liquid. Then that gets mixed in with greens and grass. The moisture helps it stick to the greens better than ground dry.

Will

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh.mi.goodness. Brilliant! I always have aloe juice in the fridge. Aloe juice instead of water is a little more nutrients and goodness. Om.mi.gosh, Will. Love this tip! Yes! Thank you so much for sharing! Woo-yah!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have tried using fruit juice with the Mazuri in the past and it wasn't as well-accepted (I only feed it to my Aldabran tortoises). I use just enough water so that it is all absorbed. So this a.m. I fed it dry with a little tub of blueberries mixed in (free from the grocery store), and they didn't eat it all up as they normally eat up the moistened.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I tried to give Cooper a dry piece and he smack me with the spikes on his right arm, or front right leg, however you look at it. He just likes it the way I've been doing it for the last almost 2 years now.

Sent from my junk cell phone... D2G

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
I would not recommend fruit juice, to high in sugar. Many aloe juices have added sugar too. I use pure 100% juice from aloe. I get it at "Trader Joe's", yet another grocery store within a few miles of my apartment. A one gallon jug costs $7.99.

The pancake colony prompted this, aloe is a regular diet item for them and many other african species. They all eat everything faster than I can grow it. I have since found Aloe in the grocery store too, they get that sometimes as well.

Will

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Will said:
I use pure 100% juice from aloe. I get it at "Trader Joe's", yet another grocery store within a few miles of my apartment. A one gallon jug costs $7.99.

Me, too! Remember when it was 3.99 a gallon at TJ's? Yes on the NO to sugar. I love this tip, thanks again Will!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Not if you drink it too. Good for people and tortoises. I mix a little fruit juice, whatever I have, pomegranate, apple, or whatever, to give it a little ump.

I also use it to aloe juice to cool down my dogs in the hot summer. In a spray bottle, with distilled water, half and half, in the fridge. My neighbor saw be doing this and now uses same on her dog who is prone to hit spots.

But back to tortoises and people. Excellent addition to both our diets! : )

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
I have not written a date on the bottle when I opened it. It does suggest on the bottle to refrigerate after opening. The expiration date on the bottle in my frig right now is for 11/15, so November 2015. I sometimes put some with the almond milk I put on my cereal, or mix it with tequila for an adult beverage. I would not call it a good taste, but mixed with just about anything, the other things' flavor dominates.

Will

Team Gomberg said:
Aloe juice, huh? Hmmm...

How long does it keep? A gallon would last me forever!

Sent from my TFOapp

You are just going to have to get more tortoises, see, problem solved.

Will

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh man did I have typos on my last post above. It's my neighbor saw ME and prone to HOT spots. Did I have aloe and tequila with way lots of tequila?
Will, tequila? Really? And almond milk? Okay, will try!
Heather, if you refrigerate it, along with the long time expiration date, you should be good. Aloe is good for all of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.