Don't know what's wrong with my tortoise

BorisBertheas

Location (City and/or State)
Vancouver
My tortoise is a Russian my tortoises are rushing tortoise he's not eating like he used to he's only will eat sweet potato and now he's not coming out of his enclosure I don't know what to do or what's wrong with him and I'm freaking out he was my mom's toward his my mom passed away in July he is white stuff in his bath water are taking him to the vet and they did absolutely nothing they were not an expert so it was a waste of money I don't know how to take care of a tortoise but I've got these lights and his temperature and it is enclosure all correct can somebody please help me I don't want him to die my mom trusted me to take care of him I don't know what to do

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My tortoise is a Russian my tortoises are rushing tortoise he's not eating like he used to he's only will eat sweet potato and now he's not coming out of his enclosure I don't know what to do or what's wrong with him and I'm freaking out he was my mom's toward his my mom passed away in July he is white stuff in his bath water are taking him to the vet and they did absolutely nothing they were not an expert so it was a waste of money I don't know how to take care of a tortoise but I've got these lights and his temperature and it is enclosure all correct can somebody please help me I don't want him to die my mom trusted me to take care of him I don't know what to do
Most of the care info from the internet and pet shops is all wrong. Read this at least twice all the way through, and make whatever adjustments are needed. Questions are welcome:

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Definitely read the care sheet that Tom posted.

The white stuff you saw in the bath were urates. It's the end product of digestion of protein, and is normal as long as it is creamy, not solid.

Sweet potato is absolutely not suitable as food for RTs. It is high in carbs, which the tortoise metabolizes into sugar. This can cause a bloom of parasites in his intestines. Your tortoise needs to be eating tortoise safe dark leafy greens and weeds. The Tortoise Table database is a good resource for what to feed.

What are your temperatures? Basking spot, cool side, night temps? What kind of bulbs do you have? Have you checked recently, with an infrared thermometer? When weather gets warm, the basking temp under the bulb can go up. Or if AC is used itight be too chilly.