Don't know what to think

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

I don't know what to think about Bob. Friday Saturday and today he has stayed in his sleeping box on his pig blanket with his face in the corner and his butt facing the room until noon. Then he gets up and eats all his food and goes outside and lays in one spot in the sun with his head down on the ground and his eyes closed. Then he goes back into his sleeping box at 4:30 and stays there. No grazing and no walking around. He has never acted like this and I am worried and don't know what to think.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
hmmmm... maybe he is depressed.. maybe he feels bad about wrecking his pool...
Mine change thier habits a bit..
poops look normal?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hmm... I don't know what to think either. My males are usually pretty consistent in their behavior. Females sometimes do what you describe.

Do you think its weather related?

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
I know this is going to be a stupid queston, and I dont know anything about Bob, but are you sure hes a he? Some of my adult female leopards do this a few days before they lay eggs. Just a thought.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would suspect it is weather related myself. If the PNW is anything like california we have been having some crazy weather this week, my poor guys don't know what to do.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I have a young male that does the same Maggie, but he is healthy enough,so I am not unduly worried.

But then the weather here has been really weird also,
I switched all heating of for my torts and the reptiles at work, then we had a few days of not cold but fresh, and they all stopped eating and moving around, so on went the heating again,

My torts now have the heating off and they are fine as they are outside all day from 8am till about 9,30pm.

But the ones at work just can't get the temps right without heating, this has never happened before, the worse one for it at work is the Russian, which should be able to deal with low temps better than the rest....

I blame NASA myself. :D:D:D:D So much **** being sent into space it's changing everything

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Hi Maggie, just checking in to see how Bob is today. I hope he has a more active day today.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
We have been having crazy weather here in Texas also and Vegas has not been himself, hopefully that's all it is and nothing serious....

M

Maggie Cummings

CtTortoiseMom said:
Hi Maggie, just checking in to see how Bob is today. I hope he has a more active day today.

Nope, he's not any different. He's just not Bob. But he still has an appetite. I just don't understand. I ran the humidifier all morning then at 12:30 I opened his doggie door and he immediately went out and sat in the same spot only there was no sun, it was raining. He's not walking or grazing at all...

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Jeez, I'm sorry! Does he have a favorite snack? Maybe a favorite treat would put some pep back into his step?? I am sure you've done everything. I hope he gets out of his funk soon.

M

Maggie Cummings

Bob still has his appetite. Today I offered him a quarter of a watermelon and a strawberry and he ate both. He also ate a lilac bloom for the first time. But he stayed in bed until 12:30...he ate all his greens and then went out to the same spot in the sun, only it was raining. He stayed in that spot in the rain until 4PM then he went inside into his sleeping box and went to bed. So I don't know what to think, he eats and goes to bed. Something like Kirstie Alley, so maybe he's just lazy and is going to eat and get fat...he simply has no energy. But he is eating a normal amount. Frankly, it's scaring me because he's just not Bob.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Still, it is encouraging that he is eating and I assume peeing and all?
Maybe he is just disgusted with our PNW weather, the second wet spring, and wants a good string of warm,breezy days...
Keep us posted.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Has anything in his routine changed? Or has anything else been changed around him, for eg, noises, other animals,

Maybe he just wants a mate as it is that time of year,
Henri will not come out of his hide unless there's a female to hump,:D:D

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
maggie3fan said:
Bob still has his appetite. Today I offered him a quarter of a watermelon and a strawberry and he ate both. He also ate a lilac bloom for the first time. But he stayed in bed until 12:30...he ate all his greens and then went out to the same spot in the sun, only it was raining. He stayed in that spot in the rain until 4PM then he went inside into his sleeping box and went to bed. So I don't know what to think, he eats and goes to bed. Something like Kirstie Alley, so maybe he's just lazy and is going to eat and get fat...he simply has no energy. But he is eating a normal amount. Frankly, it's scaring me because he's just not Bob.

Acts just like my teenager...does he argue a lot and constantly want to borrow the car?

If so, the good news is that he'll likely grow out of in in a few years... :p

M

Maggie Cummings

bikerchicspain said:
Has anything in his routine changed? Or has anything else been changed around him, for eg, noises, other animals,

Maybe he just wants a mate as it is that time of year,
Henri will not come out of his hide unless there's a female to hump,:D:D

He has never been with a female. He's 13 years old and has shown me his penis. Would he know anything about mating?

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
He's probably just not feeling well. He'll probably be better after a few days of rest.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
DoctorCosmonaut said:
S.A.D... Remember?

The sun is coming out for him!

Maybe calcium with vitamin D during the weird overcast day's???

Status
Not open for further replies.