Dolphin slaughter in Japan....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California, central coast
http://www.thecovemovie.com/WatchTheTrailer.htm

"The Cove exposes the slaughter of more than 20,000 dolphins and porpoises off the coast of Japan every year, and how their meat, containing toxic levels of mercury, is being sold as food in Japan and other parts of Asia, often labeled as whale meat. The majority of the world is not aware this is happening."

I watched the Oscar award winning documentary "The Cove" today. If you love Dolphins, you'll be enraged at how their being killed for 'food' in Japan. They slaughter 23,000 Dolphins A YEAR, very sad..:( I've included the link to their official website where you can watch the trailer. Be prepared have your tissues handy, you'll need them.

chadk

10 Year Member!
About 1:30-34 into the trailer they show FISH (tuna) being processed hoping you don't know the difference betweena a fish and a dolphin.... Lame.

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
chadk said:
About 1:30-34 into the trailer they show FISH (tuna) being processed hoping you don't know the difference betweena a fish and a dolphin.... Lame.
Lame? I'm not sure what you mean by that chadk. The 'tuna' shots are showing Japans huge 'FISH' markets, mainly 'TUNA'. Their not saying the tuna are dolphins. If you watched the whole movie you'd see....

chadk

10 Year Member!
The trailer never mentions the word 'tuna' or 'fish', so it seems they just wanted to shock you with those images. If the full feature clarifies it, that is great, but the trailer just seems dishonest to me.

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
I see what you mean. In the movie they talk about Japans fish market alot. But I was really disgusted seeing how they 'rounded up' the poor dolphins into this 'cove' and slaughtered them, every year. All this was caught on hidden cameras......dishonest it was not. The dolphin meat is then sold to markets as 'whale' meat and this town, get ready for this........gives it to the schools for lunches! The toxic levels of mercury in the meat is poisoning the children and any who eat it.....sick.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Any fish we eat, even wild caught salmon and tuna, has high levels of mercury. But only those people who eat fish as a daily staple have to really be concerned (and pegnant\nursing women should cut back as well).

Makes you wonder how the dolphins, salmon, and tuna are doing so well with all that toxic mercury in their systems?? (much more concentrated in them, as they live on fish as their diet, than it would be in any of us who have a little portion of fish now and then).

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/05/09/tech/main6470017.shtml

The levels of mercury detected in Taiji residents were above the national average, but further tests have found no ill effects, according to the National Institute for Minamata Disease. The tests it conducted involved hair samples from 1,137 of the town's about 3,500 residents.

Status
Not open for further replies.