Dogs and torts don't mix!

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Please, please, please learn from this poor tortoise! He was surrendered after the family dog got a hold of him. I've heard it 100 times if I've heard it once: but the dog has been around him for years and there's never been a problem until today.

Thus was the story with this rescue. They left the dog for 20 minutes with the tortoise and you can see what happened. I doesn't matter if the dog's been around the tortoise for 1 day or 1000. Dogs minds work differently. What was one day something totally uninteresting the next day it might be the best play toy ever!

So far he's cleaned up, started on antib's and stable. He'll have a long road to recover. The pictures are before being cleaned up.

Attachments

• fb dog.jpg
    fb dog.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 63
  • fb dog2.jpg
    fb dog2.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 63
  • fb dog3.jpg
    fb dog3.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 61

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
It is one of the things we repeat over the over.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My 15 year old chihuahua has always seen tortoises in the house and in the yard and never has really payed attention to them. However, recently, he showed his teeth at my very ill tortoise with the feeding tube and was about to pounce on her. Something about a new smell or behavior in my tortoise? I'm not sure.
I'm just saying 15 years of total harmony and it's over in a moment.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Poor tortoise. When I sell my Russian hatchlings I stress to the people to never trust a dog alone with their tortoise for even a few seconds. I also warn them not to allow a cat to have access to the enclosure of the hatchling. I tell them what is stated over and over here on the Forum. :(

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
What a terrible thing to happen to that little tort, I hope members with dogs see and learn from this.
I hope he recovers well in time.