Dog just had a fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edinburgh, Scotland
my nearly 11 year old Jack Russell, Buzz, just had a full on fit!
She has had a twitch since she ate slug pellets when she was one, but this is the first proper fit!

It only lasted a couple of minutes and she seems to be recovering well, she is still a little confused and disoriented, but getting more herself every minute!

I was SO scared when it was happening!! And am still a little scared and worried!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'm sorry to hear that. I myself have a dog who will be turning 11 in July. I hate seeing her getting old. So, it sounds like you are saying she had a seizure? Give the vet a call so she can be checked. Good luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There is medication your vet can give you to help with seizures.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
yes we will be making an appointment to see the vet on Wednesday (its 2 bank holidays the start of the week so wont be open till then...) Hopefully she won't have any more but think its best to get her checked out...

Thanks!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oh no....is this the little one you shared with us about before? I sure hope you can keep her comfortable and hopefully no more flopping round....

Sheviper1

5 Year Member
As a retired veterinary technician I can tell you that bloodwork as soon after a seizure as possible can give a better map for your veterinarian to see and can in many instances where chemical imbalances may or may not be. Consider keeping a log, time each seizure and try to get a large dog pillow or thick blanket under him/her to protect them. Keep your hands and fingers away from the mouth. Cool your dog afterwards as seizures will raise the body temp which can add to the problem. Good luck!!

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
ascott said:
Oh no....is this the little one you shared with us about before? I sure hope you can keep her comfortable and hopefully no more flopping round....

yes same dog! she has not had a recurrence so far, but will be in the vets on Wed, as we have a 2 day bank holiday here! these things always happen at times it is not easy to get them to the vet!
And it was not quite enough for an emergency vet appointment...

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
well back from vet, they took blood for a test and get the results on Friday to see if it a metabolic cause, and we are having to record every twitch! They seem to think it could be related to the slug pellets when she was one (possible a brain lesion) but we could never know for sure, but not to worry unless they become more frequent...

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
the blood test came back ok, and everything seems ok now...(I say as she twitches!!)
Will just have to watch her!

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
yeah vet mentioned something about a possible brain lesion (that she would have had since slug pellets) but will never know... and if they don't happen often I wont worry (much...)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well, just enjoy her and when she has a twitch, hold her till it passes...then back to enjoying her... :D Sounds like it is all part of who she is ...

Status
Not open for further replies.