Does your tort like cactus pads?

Ariza

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
I finally bought spineless cactus pads from TortoiseSupply.com. They sent me two big pads. I planted the bigger one and left the other by Ariza's burrow entrance (to get her attention). She took a couple of bites and left it untouched after that. Will she grow to like it? She has in the past devoured stuff and ignored it other times. I figure she knows what she wants. She's an adult, 9 inches long.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
My big leopards and my Russians love it. 2 previous leopard hatchlings that I had Did also. T he 3 yearlings that I have do not so much. They will eat it mixed with mazuri, but they won't bite a pad.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
All of my tortoises love it . I have to cut it in bite size pieces .

Ariza

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
{{ I have to cut it in bite size pieces .}}

Hmm, maybe I'll do that and mix it in with her twice a week treats, romaine lettuce or kale. Maybe it's an acquired taste? I have read cactus is very nutritious and has lots of calcium.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My tortoise partner, Will, taught me a trick that works pretty well with the smaller tortoises. You cut off a chuck of the pad then wipe it over the slicer on the cheese grater. This slices it up into pretty thin slices and makes it very easy for the weaker-mouthed, smaller tortoises to bite - even the hard outer skin.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
My sulcata didn't like it when she was younger. I even tried blending it up into mush and that got only a few bites. Now, beyond mazuri, it's the first thing she will eat most of the time.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
My sulcata didn't like it when she was younger. I even tried blending it up into mush and that got only a few bites. Now, beyond mazuri, it's the first thing she will eat most of the time.
I had a similar experience. Opuntia pads are Chuck's favorite, unless mulberry or grape leaves are available. Lately I have seen him "fill up" on muberry leaves and ignore the opuntia pads. I have also seen him push over one of the opuntia plants that I have potted to get to the pads.

Big B

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL
All mine love cactus pads Russians, redfoot, sulcata, and leopard. They don't like grape leaves at all.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All of my tortoises (four species) devour cactus pads. Start tortoises that are new to it with smaller more tender new pads. The bigger older pads are more fibrous and they will have a tougher time with it. Even my bigger sulcatas have a tough time with the older pads. When your newly planted one takes off, try feeding out some of the thinner, soft, new pads.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I had a similar experience. Opuntia pads are Chuck's favorite, unless mulberry or grape leaves are available. Lately I have seen him "fill up" on muberry leaves and ignore the opuntia pads. I have also seen him push over one of the opuntia plants that I have potted to get to the pads.
Maybe it's because he got a spine in his eyeball! I hope to never experience that. I haven't seen a Chuck update I'm a while.

Ariza

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Well, today I did what Yvonne suggested and sliced some and gave to Ariza. She took a few bites and then walked away. I'm hoping she'll start liking it after I do that a few times. And when the new young pads come out I will give to her like Tom advised. I've heard good stuff about cactus pads and it will be worth it trying to get her to like them. I've also two days ago planted the Testudo mix seeds, bird seed mix, and what is called Winter Grass from Carolina Pet Supply. The grass is fast growing (one week) and very soft and even my cats go crazy over it. Ariza doesn't care much for grass but I'm still hoping she'll learn to like this grass.