Does your star push things down and move things about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagashi

5 Year Member
We read alot about how sulcatas and russians tend to be destructive and push, rearrange things in their enclosures.

We stacked three mini pebbles on top of each other right smack in the middle of the enclosure to test what they would do.

They have walked around it.. and totally avoided it. The three mini pebbles (they are a bit wobbly) have not been knocked down for a couple of days!

We realise that they really avoid things, instead of pushing through it or moving it around. They don't even move their food around! they just contentedly eat where the food is found. the only things that actually move is the cuttlefish bones (and that's prob cause it's hard and when they bite it it gets pushed around)

Does your star have this behaviour or is ours relatively non-aggressive?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
We don't see them as being overly aggressive or destructive. I'm not sure about russians, but sulcatas dig a lot and get it a lot more "trouble" that way. We keep our stars separated by breeding pair most of the time, but when the pairs are placed together, we notice more aggressive behavior.

HtVic

5 Year Member
from what I know, stars are very shy and timid about everything. so they are hiding all the time

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
Mine doesn't push anything around, but sometimes he tries to "push" outside the wall of the enclosure or tries to push himself into a corner... just walking against it, basically. :/

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
I have only had my Burmese stars for 10 months now, and they were very young (6 months and under) when I got them. They have changed quite a bit since I got them. They never pushed or moved anything until about a month ago. Now they have a half log hide in their indoor table that gets moved around every day. I am pretty sure that it is because they are getting too big to fit under it though. They have to dig a little bit to get under it, then when they decide to leave, I think they drag it a little bit.

I never see them move anything in their outdoor pen, but they have plenty of room to get into their favorite spots out there so there is no reason to move anything. I think they probably only move stuff when they have to.

Also, they seem to get less shy by the week. I love the fact that I can pick them up now and sometimes they don't even pull into their shells. They just look at me as if to ask, "where are we going now?". They are really great torts. I would not describe them as "shy" at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.