Does this look safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
Please note, these aren't my tortoises! I found this pic online. :p

http://pinterest.com/pin/19562579603059248/

I kind of liked the idea of a little "cave," but do you all suppose it's safe? I mean, I'd worry the little guy would walk right off and flip himself over! Hiccup's hide is a flower pot on it's side and I have it buried, but it's more of a gradual hill than a cliff. He can't fall off.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I really like the cave idea too, however for some odd reason, babies seem to not realize that they can't fly. And they usually end up on their back and can't right themselves.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I really like the cave idea too, however for some odd reason, babies seem to not realize that they can't fly. And they usually end up on their back and can't right themselves.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I love my little guy to death, but he's definitely lacking in common sense. lol! We had one of those log hides for him and he about gave me a heart attack when I found him upside down TWICE because he was trying to climb it! Needless to say, that thing is gone as it anything else even remotely climbable. :p

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Also, a tortoise might go in and dig into the sides. Unless there is something sturdy holding that roof piece up, the substrate will be dug out from under it and it could collapse on top of the tortoise.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
pdrobber said:
Also, a tortoise might go in and dig into the sides. Unless there is something sturdy holding that roof piece up, the substrate will be dug out from under it and it could collapse on top of the tortoise.

That's a really great point. Thank you!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Idk I have caves like that in my enclosure never had problems. My guys will still crawl over the edge but they turn themselves back over in one second. As hatchling when they flipped I never helped unless it was a long period time and they looked like they gave up. Now they are pro at turning right side up. I'm not worried at all about that. I like the picture tho like the idea

bellyboo

5 Year Member
Millerlite said:
Idk I have caves like that in my enclosure never had problems. My guys will still crawl over the edge but they turn themselves back over in one second. As hatchling when they flipped I never eloped unless it was a long period time and they looked like they gave up. Now they are pro at turning right side up. I'm not worried at all about that. I like the picture tho like the idea

Maybe my little guy is "challenged." lol! When he flipped he most definitely was not getting back over and scared me to death.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I think it looks a little scary but it also looks like the enclosure and torts get a lot of care and attention so hopefully if there was a problem the owner would notice and address it right away.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Safe is a relative term. Some tortoise folks try to make their tortoises world completely safe and never let them even get a spot of dirt on them (the china doll tortoise is my term for it), while others allow their animals to be more natural and learn to be a tortoise. Neither side is wrong and I can understand both extremes.

I go for the more natural look and life style. My hatchlings have things to climb on and fall off of, but that is how it would be in the wild. So for me, the cave would be safe, atleast as far as the drop off part. I would have a softer landing spot then they have, but that's me.

Tortoises are going to fall on their backs, even without things that we expect to be hazards. I have had them fall off the half log hides and I have had them fall over trying to climb a straight edged hide too. Even the smallest water dish can cause some problems. Some tortoises just seem more challenged, be it in brains or grace/coordination.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Safe is a relative term. Some tortoise folks try to make their tortoises world completely safe and never let them even get a spot of dirt on them (the china doll tortoise is my term for it), while others allow their animals to be more natural and learn to be a tortoise. Neither side is wrong and I can understand both extremes.

I go for the more natural look and life style. My hatchlings have things to climb on and fall off of, but that is how it would be in the wild. So for me, the cave would be safe, atleast as far as the drop off part. I would have a softer landing spot then they have, but that's me.

Tortoises are going to fall on their backs, even without things that we expect to be hazards. I have had them fall off the half log hides and I have had them fall over trying to climb a straight edged hide too. Even the smallest water dish can cause some problems. Some tortoises just seem more challenged, be it in brains or grace/coordination.

Thank you for the reply! You make a really excellent point. While I don't mean to, I tend to go into crazy, overprotective mommy mode sometimes. And I tend to forget that they are creatures of the wild. lol!

I try to have his home as "natural" as possible. I have tons of plants growing in there, a little hide out of a turned flower pots, lots of little hills and mounds to climb. In the summer he has an outdoor home that he goes in when I garden (I sell veggies in the summer so I'm out there a lot with him) and it has all sorts of fun things for him to explore.

Thanks again for the reply!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
bellyboo said:
While I don't mean to, I tend to go into crazy, overprotective mommy mode sometimes.

Nothing wrong with that, infact it is a good thing. ;)

sheldon1306

5 Year Member
emysemys said:

Yeah, I've had Sheldon fot 11 months and I've luckily caught him at least 15 times on his back. I had everything flat the whole time and he was always flipping... I got courageous a few months ago and made a couple hills and such and now he seems to have a sense of danger in his eyes.... I do love the cave idea... Just nervous lol

Status
Not open for further replies.