Does this look normal for a baby RF

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeving

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, CO
Just got this little guy this morning and not sure if this is how it's shell should look or not. My only experience is with adult boxies and if I saw this on one of them I would be very concerned. I will say that I received him from a breeder who has a very respected reputation on this forum.

Attachments

• IMG_2443.JPG
    IMG_2443.JPG
    694.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2442.JPG
    IMG_2442.JPG
    598.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2445.JPG
    IMG_2445.JPG
    790.2 KB · Views: 56

leeving

5 Year Member
Broomfield, CO
ascott said:
How old is your baby?

I wasn't told it's exact hatch date. I was kind of thinking he was few months old. I was also hoping someone on here with breeding experience would be able to make a guess as to age too.

EP429

5 Year Member
Central Texas
He doesn't look much over a few weeks old, his plastron still shows signs of the yolk solk having been recently absorbed

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Based on the yolk scar, I would guess just 2-3 months. I see some spotting that might be fungal or just hard water. Have you given him a nice soak and gentle scrubbing?

leeving

5 Year Member
Broomfield, CO
Madkins007 said:
Based on the yolk scar, I would guess just 2-3 months. I see some spotting that might be fungal or just hard water. Have you given him a nice soak and gentle scrubbing?

I did give it a good 30 min soak in luke warm water but was a little nervous about messing to much with the shell. He's still a little soft and had a long day and I didn't want to add to the stress. When I get home tonight I will do the gentle scrubbing and see what comes off. If it seems inconclusive would you suggest starting the treatment you have for shell rot/fungal issues?

Mark your Library has been an invaluable resource. Keep up the good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.