Does this look like irritation/infection?

christy0426

Location (City and/or State)
Providence, Rhode Island
Morris is a ten year old Russian tortoise, and recently he has been having recurring redness around his left ear. It does not feel hot and he doesn't seem tender to the touch, but it is consistently only on the one side, and I want to make sure it isn't worth a visit to the vet.

It started only a few weeks ago, does not seem to be progressing but is not improving either. I am sharing his right side with no redness, and two separate photos of his left. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20240417_150945.jpg
    IMG_20240417_150945.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240417_150939.jpg
    IMG_20240417_150939.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240407_151125.jpg
    IMG_20240407_151125.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You can put some Silver Sulfadiazine (Silvadine?) on it, or just some neosporin or triple antibiotic cream, that may heal it if it's an infected wound. Your tortoise could also use a professional beak and claw trimming. The wound may be a result of the long claws scratching his face, or if another tortoise is also in the same enclosure, then it could be from their fighting (no tortoises should be kept in pairs). Please do post pictures of his enclosure and let us know the conditions of his care (substrate, diet, lighting, temperatures) and I am sure others more experienced than I am will be along soon to help! @Yvonne G

christy0426

Providence, Rhode Island
You can put some Silver Sulfadiazine (Silvadine?) on it, or just some neosporin or triple antibiotic cream, that may heal it if it's an infected wound. Your tortoise could also use a professional beak and claw trimming. The wound may be a result of the long claws scratching his face, or if another tortoise is also in the same enclosure, then it could be from their fighting (no tortoises should be kept in pairs). Please do post pictures of his enclosure and let us know the conditions of his care (substrate, diet, lighting, temperatures) and I am sure others more experienced than I am will be along soon to help! @Yvonne G
Thank you! He is a rescue in recovery from some very severe neglect, and I knew his beak was still a problem (it was MUCH worse) but did not realize his claws were so overgrown and could be hurting him. Maybe a trip to the vet for all three issues is in order.

this is very helpful!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
He might do some harmful things in there, like climb up on the hide and escape, or climb those tall, sharp rocks, flip over onto his back and can't flip himself upright again. Just imagining. But it's great that you rescued him and I hope you will stay with us and get some more help from the experts. @wellington @Alex and the Redfoot

christy0426

Providence, Rhode Island
He might do some harmful things in there, like climb up on the hide and escape, or climb those tall, sharp rocks, flip over onto his back and can't flip himself upright again. Just imagining. But it's great that you rescued him and I hope you will stay with us and get some more help from the experts. @wellington @Alex and the Redfoot
Thankfully his little legs are too short for him to escape, despite his best efforts! He is in the center of the house so I have a pretty consistent eye on him, but hopefully I will be replacing with a better tank soon!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Remove some or all of those rocks. The enclosure is pretty narrow looking and he needs the room to exercise/roam. He may have scratched on the rock.