does my tortoise's shell look to be growing okay?

hermantort

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
i'm always worried about pyramiding, like any tortoise owner i think is. i was just wondering if someone could look at some pictures and tell me if they think his shell is growing correctly. he is a hermann's tortoise, i'm unsure of his age but his plastron is 5 inches long, so i'm assuming he's probably a few years old but i'm honestly not sure.

herman 1.jpgherman 2.jpg

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
i'm always worried about pyramiding, like any tortoise owner i think is. i was just wondering if someone could look at some pictures and tell me if they think his shell is growing correctly. he is a hermann's tortoise, i'm unsure of his age but his plastron is 5 inches long, so i'm assuming he's probably a few years old but i'm honestly not sure.

View attachment 298430View attachment 298431

View attachment 298430 View attachment 298431
There looks to be some pyramiding, but the tortoise is past the size to be able to do anything about it. Don't worry about it. There doesn't appear to be any health risk involved and it's strictly cosmetic.

hermantort

Ohio
There looks to be some pyramiding, but the tortoise is past the size to be able to do anything about it. Don't worry about it. There doesn't appear to be any health risk involved and it's strictly cosmetic.
thank you for your response! i figured there was a small amount but he's pretty much looked like that since i've had him, which has been 7 months and it doesn't seem to really be getting any worse so i'm hoping what i'm doing is right

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
He looks fine to me, you’ll see a lot of threads about pyramiding but it mostly refers to Sulcatas and leopard tortoises. Just give his enclosure a mist a couple times a day:)

hermantort

Ohio
He looks fine to me, you’ll see a lot of threads about pyramiding but it mostly refers to Sulcatas and leopard tortoises. Just give his enclosure a mist a couple times a day:)
i usually give his whole enclosure, including him, two really good mists - one in the morning and one at night. if i notice the humidity is dropping or that he looks dry, i'll give it another mist. thank you for replying :)

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
i usually give his whole enclosure, including him, two really good mists - one in the morning and one at night. if i notice the humidity is dropping or that he looks dry, i'll give it another mist. thank you for replying :)
Perfect, when the weathers warm enough you can get him outside for some natural UVB too. Enjoy your little guy:)