1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Does my Russian hate me?

Discussion in 'Russian tortoises' started by Laura49, Feb 14, 2018.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Laura49

Laura49 New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Bangor, Northern Ireland
    Your right his tank isn't big enough I knew that, his is 4ftx4ft with a smaller 4x2 second story. That's why I've been letting him out to get some exercise. I thought I was doing the right thing. I went to my local pet shop that sells them for advice and they are selling them in 3ftx2ftx18" vivs and said to me that's all they will ever need and then had a go at me because of my table being a table and being and I quote "too big"! It's a little hard to see in the photo but that's his house.

Attached Files:

Samantha Graham likes this.
  2. Laura49

Laura49 New Member

Bangor, Northern Ireland
    Will this picture do?

Attached Files:

3. Laura49

Laura49 New Member

Bangor, Northern Ireland
    Put him on his back today, he struggled for an eternity! He can't seem to right himself.

Attached Files:

4. TechnoCheese

TechnoCheese Well-Known Member

Lewisville, Texas
    Actually, his table isn’t too bad of a size!
    Sadly, pet stores usually give out nothing but wrong info. It’s a shame that they don’t do research or learn about their animals.
  5. Taylor T.

Taylor T. Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

New England
    Looks like you have a male.
    Samantha Graham and TechnoCheese like this.
  6. Gmoran

Gmoran New Member

Pa
    I agree with Technocheese. 4x4 with a 4x2 second level is a good size enclosure for a single Russian. Also, your tortoise probably associates your hand with food. He may see your hand and think you have food for him. My hermanns will come running when he sees me putting my hand in his enclosure.
    Samantha Graham and TechnoCheese like this.
  7. jUMPSu1t

jUMPSu1t Member

Los Angeles
    Maybe you should clean your hands more to avoid biting. I once got strawberry juice on my pinky and one of my torts bit it.
  8. Kapidolo Farms

Kapidolo Farms Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

South of Southern California, but not Mexico
  9. 6strings

6strings Member

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
    Hi Laura, yeah, your enclosure is nice. What are the sides and bottom coated with? It looks almost like that heat shrink stuff used on model planes. Looks nice.

BTW, my Horsefield (Russian) is outdoors in a garden area that is around 60 square feet, but I swear he pretty much stays in one area about 4ft x 3ft and rarely ever ventures out of that. Eats, patrols and sleeps within that 4 x3 area. Soil is the same throughout the entire enclosure, same plants all over, same sun exposure as far as I can tell. It is making me re-think the needs of a single tortoise. Not that I need to decrease the existing enclosure - he can have it all - but perhaps a single Horsefield tort really does not need a huge area if the needs are all met? This is an adult male I rescued - the previous owners got it from Petsmart originally, so it is probably wild-caught.

What do the experts think? I am almost thinking I can split the 60 sq ft area into two separate 30 sq ft areas and get the CB Hermann's tortoise I have been wanting. What is the minimum size you folks use for a single Horsefield or Hermann's outside? Assuming that the needs are met correctly.
  10. dmmj

dmmj The member formerly known as captain awesome Moderator 10 Year Member!

CA
    Looks male ( a little small don't tell him :)) but male, as for enclosure size inside or out bigger is always better. A russian in the wild has a territory of several square miles. They are hardwired to patrol. Looking for females and interlopers.
  11. drew54

drew54 Well-Known Member

Indiana
    Yes.
    TammyJ and xMario like this.
  12. Samantha Graham

Samantha Graham New Member 5 Year Member

Liverpool, U.K
    My Russian did this for the first time a few weeks ago when I trimmed his toe nails, I don’t think he liked having all four feet done in one sitting. I realised he was sleeping too much because I’d moved his enclosure around and he was getting too hot under his lamp, hence he hadn’t trimmed his nails naturally in his outdoor enclosure. Since realising the mistake in his enclosure, his nails and beak are naturally kept trim and I haven’t had to diy them. He’s a much happier tort when he can look after these things himself through ambling in his outside enclosure.