Does he hate me ?

Thebubster

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Myers
I've had bubby for a bit and I took him outside so he could eat some weeds and enjoy life ya know he's never tried to get away from me or anything but I was watering some plants and I came back and he walked extra fast he doesn't even sleep in his shell when I'm around but like does he hate me ?? Please help

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

He doesn’t hate you; actually your tortoise could care less about you I’m afraid. That’s just how they are built, they aren’t like humans or dogs or even cats. They don’t need and aren’t interested in any other creature, unless they are trying to mate.

It’s hard to say what he was thinking but I’d say one of two things, maybe both:

He is very small and has spent his life trying to hide from large predators. To him you are just another large predator, especially when he’s out in the open.

Tortoises are very fast when they want to be and they are always looking to expand their territory. They will get away from you or hide even before your turn your back. You should not let them free roam outside for this reason. Well, lots of reasons, actually, but this one in particular. Half the Russian owners on this forum have a tortoise that escaped from elsewhere, including me. :) They need secure outdoor enclosures.

Thebubster

Fort Myers
Welcome!

He doesn’t hate you; actually your tortoise could care less about you I’m afraid. That’s just how they are built, they aren’t like humans or dogs or even cats. They don’t need and aren’t interested in any other creature, unless they are trying to mate.

It’s hard to say what he was thinking but I’d say one of two things, maybe both:

He is very small and has spent his life trying to hard from large predators. To him you are just another large predator, especially when he’s out in the open.

Tortoises are very fast when they want to be and they are always looking to expand their territory. They will get away from you or hide even before your turn your back. You should not let them free roam outside for this reason. Well, lots of reasons, actually, but this one in particular. Half the Russian owners on this forum have a tortoise that escaped from elsewhere, including me. :) They need secure outdoor enclosures.
I always sit with him when he's outside he usually just eats and basks and then burrows sad he doesn't care I love that lil boy

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It could have been the water, my russians are not big fans of running water (my CDT feels the same way).

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
At least your tortoise hasn’t started to chase you and try to bite your toes when you’re around like mine has, lol ;)

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Please read my Friendly reminder post from yesterday, be very careful having them outside roaming free even under supervision they can get into a lot of trouble quick.