Does my Hermann have a respiratory infection?

Mvroccan

Location (City and/or State)
Rotterdam
Hi people,

I've seen my little hermann's tortoise (2 years old) blow a couple of bubbles out of her nose these last few days.
She also contracts herself into her shell in a fast motion and makes a whistle or squeeky noise, the sound like a baby bird would make.
Does she have a respitory infection? Or could it be something else? What should I do?

She has a heat and uv bulb.
Eats and drinks plenty, is active, poops and urinates like she should.
She eats mostly weeds like mustard greens, dandelion leaves, white dead-nettle, plantain, etc. But I also give her sometimes some rocket (arugula), endive or a soaked pellet.
Substrate: 100% Coco coir
I've just measured the temps and they are:
Basking spot: 31C (88F)
Cold spot: 19C (66F)
Humidity: 55%, I spray every morning

I hope y'all can help me!

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The cool side might just be a bit too cool. Can you warm it up into the 70's? For baby tortoises, it should stay pretty warm, day and night.

Mvroccan

Rotterdam
The cool side might just be a bit too cool. Can you warm it up into the 70's? For baby tortoises, it should stay pretty warm, day and night.
Thank you so much, will do! So the rest is fine? No respiratory infection? Will the squeeking and bubbly nose go away after this?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you so much, will do! So the rest is fine? No respiratory infection? Will the squeeking and bubbly nose go away after this?
Sounds like the start of a respiratory infection. You will need to keep a close eye on the tortoise after you raise the temperatures (should really be around 80F day and night to cure this problem). If the runny nose and squeaking do not go away in 7-10 days, you will need to take your tortoise a good vet before it gets any worse.

Mvroccan

Rotterdam
Sounds like the start of a respiratory infection. You will need to keep a close eye on the tortoise after you raise the temperatures (should really be around 80F day and night to cure this problem). If the runny nose and squeaking do not go away in 7-10 days, you will need to take your tortoise a good vet before it gets any worse.
Raised the temperatures! Thank you for your response