Does his breathing seem too fast?

Lizzitink

Location (City and/or State)
Uhland, Texas
We were outside enjoying some sunshine fresh air and I noticed he started breathing fast and head bobbing. He has seemed fine and pushing through lots of weeds and was moving around a lot. Then I noticed his watery eyes...maybe from pushing through lots of rough weeds? Does he seem alright?
Almost 2yr old redfoot

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
We were outside enjoying some sunshine fresh air and I noticed he started breathing fast and head bobbing. He has seemed fine and pushing through lots of weeds and was moving around a lot. Then I noticed his watery eyes...maybe from pushing through lots of rough weeds? Does he seem alright?
Almost 2yr old redfoot
I'm guessing here. Because that's not a lot of information. But it sounds like your RF was being territorial. Like maybe he thought he saw another tortoise.
(Head bobbing and vocalizing)

Lizzitink

Uhland, Texas
Oh shoot i tried uploading a video. His breathing got faster than Ive ever seen it and seemed a bit shallow. His eyes were watery.
I'm guessing here. Because that's not a lot of information. But it sounds like your RF was being territorial. Like maybe he thought he saw another tortoise.
(Head bobbing and vocalizing

Lizzitink

Uhland, Texas
He was in direct sunlight, and we were for a while. I came close and got under my shadow...Ill be more careful in the future. Thank you so much!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
He was in direct sunlight, and we were for a while. I came close and got under my shadow...Ill be more careful in the future. Thank you so much!!
Redfoot can and do get overheated easily.
Although that's just another theory. I kind of like that one.
If you live in an unreasonably hot area of the world. Like you and I do. Always provide shade and a water pool for a Redfoot to cool off.

Last edited: