Does he look healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
He looks good in the pics. Is his poop runny at all? Does he have nice clear eyes? I love that second pic lol!

chester tortoiseson

5 Year Member
His poop is fine. I think his eyes are ok they look clear. Do you need any other angles, or are those pics good enough? I love the second pic too, he is like what r u doing😊

His eyes look clear, his poop is fine. Also are those pics good enough or do you need more? I love the second pic too he is like what r u doing😄

His eyes look clear, his poop is fine. Also are those pics good enough or do you need more? I love the second pic too he is like what r u doing😄

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
He looks good.
I am only seeing a small area of your enclosure, but you might consider mixing coir (they come in bricks that you add warm water to, or bags) in with the reptibark. Some home supply/garden stores sell coir). Reptibark doesn't hold moisture as well.
They don't need high air humidity, but even Mediterranean torts need moisture in the underlayers of the substrate, especially with the warm UV/basking light.
Add some water (just pour it on) weekly, as needed and mix it up.
Very lively looking fellow!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I agree with Lynne. This new Russian tortoise does look healthy, but he also seems a bit dry to me. Replacing your fir bark with coco coir, cypress mulch, or soil will make for a substrate that can hold moisture better, and maintain a humid microclimate for your tortoise when he burrows down into it. This well help him stay hydrated. :)

chester tortoiseson

5 Year Member
Thanks I am actually moving him out side where it will be a lot more humid. That is also why I have the mulch is to reduce the humidity so when he comes in at night he will have a little time to "dry" out.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Well remember, Russian tortoises are native to the grasslands and deserts of Central Asia, where the air is dry, but the soil may contain some moisture. Russians can tolerate an ambient humidity of 20-70%, but prefer 40-50%. A moist substrate can create a microclimate with a humidity up to 20% above ambient. That's how they like it: rather dry air, somewhat moist substrate. And moist does not mean wet or even damp. Just moist.

Status
Not open for further replies.