Does anyone use a Desert Flo Bulb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
I am planning to modify a 6' bookcase into an enclosure for Al'tuin over the next few months (not that I need to, I just want to!) and it has pretty short sides, just over 12" tall.

I feel like that is just way too short to safely use a MVB, so I'm planning to stagger some CHEs and just use a 48" light fixture for the UVB. The fixture I like best is a T5, much slimmer than the standard T8, and pretty much the only bulb I've found that is 48" and a T5 is the Desert Flo Bulb.

This one here; http://buddysbuddies.com/small-animal/reptile-flourescent-bulbs/desert-flo-bulb-28w-48-t5.html

I'm having trouble finding much information about it. Do any of you know if this is a good bulb, or do you have experience with it?

Thanks in advance!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have no experience with this particular grade light...all of the desert torts here are well, out in the desert in their yards....lol...so I have not had a need for indoor lighting for them...and it is a bit strong for the Redfoot torts....so my post will bump your thread back to the front of the line and perhaps someone will be able to offer you their personal experience...

In my opinion, this is a better bulb for an indoor confined controlled environment that some of the all in ones....especially since you have described the way you want to apply its use with the other heat sources....good stuff....

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Do not use the t-5 desert bulb from Zilla. They are too bright and WILL cause blindness in your tortoises. I have personally used this bulb and can attest to what it does to young torts.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I found some missed marked desert and tropical series Zilla bulbs at Petco last year so I bought them all, they are t-5 20 inch tubes, I am not a big fan of a strong uvb for hatchlings and youngsters,but if the enclosure is planted heavenly with live plants, and or plenty of shaded areas for them to get out of the direct rays, uvb bulbs can be used safely, you do have to be cautious of the eyes, I know from personal experience from many years ago with the mountain tortoises.I have not used any of these bulbs yet but I probably will in years to come.the store was supposed to reduce the price $4 but they reduced them to $4 each, kinda hard not to by them for future use. Maybe look at the Tropical Series 25 and compare it with the Desert Series 50, basically it is half as intense.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Len said:
Maybe look at the Tropical Series 25 and compare it with the Desert Series 50, basically it is half as intense.

Are these T5 bulbs?

For those that didn't notice in my signature, Al'tuin is a Greek Tortoise. She's approximately a yearling now.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I have no experience with the tropical series. Personally though, based on my experience with the desert t-5s, I would be a little wary of them...but that's just me.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
NudistApple said:
Len said:
Maybe look at the Tropical Series 25 and compare it with the Desert Series 50, basically it is half as intense.

Are these T5 bulbs?

For those that didn't notice in my signature, Al'tuin is a Greek Tortoise. She's approximately a yearling now.
Yes t-5 20 inch

Status
Not open for further replies.