Does anyone recognise this?

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Hi I saw this at a Chinese market. They called it yellow flower. Does anybody know what it actually is? I would like to find out if I can feed it to my torts but need it's actual name.20180510_160358.jpg20180510_160352.jpg

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
I'm certainly not an expert, but this very much like basil. Take a bit and rub the leaf between your thumb and forefinger and then sniff. Like it?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I’m going with choy sum or possibly Chinese broccoli. Both are brassicas; safe in moderation. There are a zillion Asian brassicas with yellow leaves so that label is not at all helpful. o_O

You may be able to tell by taste. Choy sum is fairly mild, Chinese broccoli is somewhat bitter but not as bitter as “regular” broccoli.

You might check for celtuce, which is a lettuce. I like it because the stems have a decent amount of fiber and it’s got a reasonable price (I think) for a good sized package. It has tons of names but I almost always find it labeled as celtuce; occasionally as yóu mài cài.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I’m going with choy sum or possibly Chinese broccoli. Both are brassicas; safe in moderation. There are a zillion Asian brassicas with yellow leaves so that label is not at all helpful. o_O

You may be able to tell by taste. Choy sum is fairly mild, Chinese broccoli is somewhat bitter but not as bitter as “regular” broccoli.

You might check for celtuce, which is a lettuce. I like it because the stems have a decent amount of fiber and it’s got a reasonable price (I think) for a good sized package. It has tons of names but I almost always find it labeled as celtuce; occasionally as yóu mài cài.
Thank you. I will look out for that. I was actually hoping to find some dandelion leaves as our normal markets don't stock that and the ones that I have in the garden are not producing enough to keep up with the demand. Anyway the asian market didn't have it either. I am hopefully getting some seeds from a friend but in the meantime I will have to try and find some wild ones and see if they will take if I transplant them. I haven't been too successful with that so far. But if you at first don't succeed then try and try again!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I’m not sure I’ve seen dandelion at a Chinese market now that I think about it. Korean and Vietnamese, yes. Also at a Persian market. Interesting.

They might also carry something called yam pea or simply yam leaf. Those are sweet potato leaves, safe and usually well loved by my Russian.