Does anyone in the USA sell fresh dandelion leaves?

Thundersnow

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
My Cherryhead and Indian Star Tortoises both love fresh dandelion leaves.We are in the fall autumn now and few few left in my unfertilized yard. Is there a source that sells fresh dandelion leaves?I don't want freeze dried or something that has to be reconstituted. I bought cactus fresh and dried they won't eat cactus so I can't use that as a replacement. Just want fresh dandelion leaves of course not exposed to fertilizer.Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3842.jpeg
    IMG_3842.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Do you you have any ethnic markets near you? An overpriced Whole Foods or similar? A health food store. most of these will carry regular and sometimes red dandelions. Our Asian markets typically have them, as do our Mexican stores.

But, as Yvonne has already said, any bitter chicory will do. Endive, curly endive, escarole, frisée, radicchio. Go down to the expensive side of the lettuce aisle And they should be there.

if your stores sells the ReadyPac brand bagged lettuces the Santa Barbara mix is all chicories.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Do you you have any ethnic markets near you? An overpriced Whole Foods or similar? A health food store. most of these will carry regular and sometimes red dandelions. Our Asian markets typically have them, as do our Mexican stores.

But, as Yvonne has already said, any bitter chicory will do. Endive, curly endive, escarole, frisée, radicchio. Go down to the expensive side of the lettuce aisle And they should be there.

if your stores sells the ReadyPac brand bagged lettuces the Santa Barbara mix is all chicories.
Yes
Exactly
I was very excited to find some a few years ago. Just to find out that my Redfoot do not like them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ask the produce manager at your grocery store to order a case of chickory for you. Same thing.
The ones referred to as chicory are Italian dandelions: Cichorum intybus.

Yard dandelions are Taraxacum officinale.

These are two different plants.

Italian Dandelion: Not a true dandelion, but with leaves that are similar in appearance, Italian dandelions are much earlier, upright growing, larger, and a deeper green. With a number of varieties originating in Italy, the leaves and flower stalks are used in salads, soups, or as a sautéed side dish.