Banana leaves questions

Megatron's Mom

Location (City and/or State)
North Little Rock, Arkansas
We have a store near us that seal the cactus pads here. We can get them diced, whole, or a bag of for already cleaned up with no thorns. I usually go with the bag of four.

Well this place also sells banana leaves, they could be plantain I can't remember. I know the tortes can eat these, but it is a huge bag of leaves. I haven't bought it yet because my guys are just little and didn't want this big bag going to waste.

How long does this stuff last? Any storage ideas would be appreciated.
How much can two little guys 280g and 191g eat? Can i mix it in everyday, a few times a week?

It's been so dry here my weeds, grass and grapevines are starting to come to an end despite all the watering I do.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
I would think they are too tough and fibrous for tortoises that small. When I have fed them to our tortoises they struggle tearing them up and they wind up pooping them out in big wads that are easily recognizable.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I no longer do. But I had banana and plantains growing around my old fish pond. I fed the fruit to my Redfoot. But no matter how I presented the leaves...Even the tender, white sections, my RF wouldn't touch them.
No harm done trying it for yourself though.

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
I no longer do. But I had banana and plantains growing around my old fish pond. I fed the fruit to my Redfoot. But no matter how I presented the leaves...Even the tender, white sections, my RF wouldn't touch them.
No harm done trying it for yourself though.
Thanks, I will try next year. My plants should be big enough by then to give the a little bit.