Does anyone dream about their tortoises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I dreamed about what kind of picture I was going to take for the calendar contest. I ended up with a pretty good idea, however, I live alone and it requires someone ELSE to take the picture. This a.m. I left a message on my daughter's answering machine asking if she could stop by today.

Did I mention that I got a puppy? ...and no, the picture doesn't involve the pup.

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Yes. Unfortunately most my dreams are nightmares though.

I've only had one so far though that was tortoise related.

I had a dream where The Professors tank was filled to the brim stuffed with torts, like hundreds of them. All I was thinking was "HOW AM I GOING TO TAKE CARE OF ALL THESE!??!? HOW DID THIS HAPPEN!??!? I picked one up that was mutated like something from the Island of Dr. Moreau and was just shocked at its mutation, then I woke up.

My Girlfriend also had one where our turtle grew super huge and turned into a man-eating attack tortoise.

AldabraNerd

5 Year Member
After the first month or so on fieldwork, I started dreaming about the tortoises quite often. At first they just kind of appeared in & out of context, but soon dream sequences revolved around them. I quickly forget my dreams, though, so no specifics to retell. But hey, working on Aldabra IS a dream in itself - so I guess another answer would be 'constantly; awake & asleep'!! :D

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
These are great:) I have dreams about my tortoises and box turtles but I don't remember specifics. Maybe this thread will be open the next time I have a dream about one of my tortoises and I can type it up. :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Very rarely, that I recall, anyway...in one dream, Jennifer (when she was my only tort) was calling to me, telling me that she was afraid that she might drown, because the water in her enclosure was getting really deep from the rain...it woke me up and I realized that it really was raining pretty hard, so I ran outside (with my wife telling me to come back to bed, that it was only a bad dream), and sure enough, the water WAS getting so deep that she was up on top of her basking rock and that was the only thing not under water! (cue Rod Serling and "The Twilight Zone Theme")...

Took her inside and the next day I rebuilt one wall of her enclosure to improve the drainage considerably.

The only other one I recall clearly was pretty gruesome for the tortoises in it, so let's not go there...

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Haha! Totally crazy and random one the other night. My poor husband. So, somehow in my dream my hatchlings were in an enclosure of some sort suspended from the ceiling by cables. The bottom of the cage dropped out somehow and they dropped to the ground.....I woke up in a panic, looked up at the ceiling above my bed and stated feeling around anxiously all over for the substrate and my babies! While I was looking I was a little confused because I was trying to figure out why/how they would be in my bed! My husband woke up and moved the blankets in the dark and asked what I was doing. I yelled at him to be careful cause "they" are in here. Poor guy is so used to my random dreams/awakenings he just rolled over and tried to go back to sleep. I sat there another minute in silence staring in silence at my ceiling fan and blankets (substrate) and came to the conclusion I would not be satisfied that they weren't in my bed unless I turned the light on and saw for myself....so I did. The "substrate" was just my smaller and darker blanket....what a dork! Then I got up to check on my little guys and verify they were where they were supposed to be.

mercurysmom said:
I don't even dream about my cat or dog or car this way... And I love them all too! But maybe it's because of just how much the tortoises rely on us. I don't even like going away overnight anymore because I don't want to have to entrust someone else with all of their needs. How will I ever deal with having kids in the future? Lol.

Haha! I don't stresses much about the kids! Even as babies they can communicate when the need something and get it. Torts are WAY more stress to me!

ALDABRAMAN said:
I have had light dreams about them escaping and getting stolen or lost in the woods!

I think this would be a great picture for a comic strip....someone trying to run away with a HUGE Aldabra!

lushcious said:
I had a very strange dream that I had put my tortoises in the microwave to warm them up! Surprisingly, they came out fine o_o

LMAO!

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
LuckysGirl007, I loved your dream! I thought it was so funny!!! It must have been so realistic. Thanks for the laugh.:)

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I did have a dream about tortoises last night. They were more like nightmares, but I will share. I have three sulcata tortoises at home and in my dream, my daughters' tortoise (it use to be mine, but my daughter begged it off of me, and that way I had an excuse to get one more, but that is another topic), tortc was coming up to me to get some food and her beak was gone. It was just a tongue and some raw skin. Really scary. I was glad to wake up and have it all turn out to be a dream. The next one was right after the one I just told you about. In this one, I was at a motel and I went to the breakfast room to get my complimentary breakfast and in the microwave was a little greek tortoise being cooked. I hurried up and turned off the microwave and reached in to get the tortoise and it was alive and one eye was all puffy, the beak was cooked off and it looked half dead. So I went to talk to the manager about their tortoise and it turns out that they had two. I implored them to give them to someone who could take care of them the right way. They ended up giving them to me. This is where my dream turned weird and I won't disturb you with the details, but they ended up in a new enclosure with me making a vets appointment. I woke up and thought I have to see if this thread is still up so I can type it down. I think I stayed up too late reading about all the tortoises that were sick in the health section:D

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
I had another tort dream the other night. Once again, my poor husband woke up to me frantically feeling around the blankets yelling "where is it? Where did it go?" Being the good sport he is he rolled his eyes and then rolled his body over to go back to sleep. I realized then that I was apparently dreaming about feeding the torts and was looking for all their food dishes!

Status
Not open for further replies.