Do you kiss your tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
futureleopardtortoise said:
Don't really know how to describe it better than that. They have very wormy tongues, indeed.

Haha! Thats so gross! :)

I don't kiss my tort, but I do kiss my cat's forehead and she kisses me back by licking my nose.
(its okay, my husband and I have an agreement. ;) )

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Don't really know how to describe it better than that. They have very wormy tongues, indeed.
That is something I hope to never have personal knowledge of.

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
Do I kiss my tortoise? Not on NO but H*LL NO..... gross
I love mine but no kissing here.
In our house butterfly kisses were the same as Eskimo kisses, rubbing noses.

emmalaub

5 Year Member
KISSING A TORTOISE NO WAY!but i still love my russian she is the cutest

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
I don't kiss my torts. but I know what you mean about the bird tongue- my husband kisses his parrot.

I then like to point out that whilst he was in the kitchen, bill ate his own poo. Hehe. Yum.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
clare n said:
I don't kiss my torts. but I know what you mean about the bird tongue- my husband kisses his parrot.

I then like to point out that whilst he was in the kitchen, bill ate his own poo. Hehe. Yum.
I hope that bill isn't the husband?

jlittlefield

5 Year Member
I nose bump too. My Steve likes a rub under his chin and top of head. He's a real sweetie!

amanda712

5 Year Member
Southern CA
Why has no one mentioned SALMONELLA?? I mean, kissing my dog on the head is one thing, but reptiles are known for carrying salmonella--hence why you shouldn't keep them in your kitchen let alone kiss them.

So being the responsible adult, I am going to advise that you do not kiss your reptile, but if you feel you must, then enjoy the poops should they find you.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
amanda712 said:
Why has no one mentioned SALMONELLA?? I mean, kissing my dog on the head is one thing, but reptiles are known for carrying salmonella--hence why you shouldn't keep them in your kitchen let alone kiss them.

So being the responsible adult, I am going to advise that you do not kiss your reptile, but if you feel you must, then enjoy the poops should they find you.

I did. See post #23. There is a small chance a tortoise is a carrier of Salmonella. A healthy tort probably doesn't have it, but that's why we're supposed to wash our hands after handling them, just in case they do. That's why I don't kiss them, either, even if they are really cute. :)

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
amanda712 said:
Why has no one mentioned SALMONELLA?? I mean, kissing my dog on the head is one thing, but reptiles are known for carrying salmonella

The way I see it, I could get salmonella more easily from eating cake batter or cookie dough than kissing my animals :p Still don't kiss my tortoise, though,
he doesn't like it... but birds apparently run the risk as well.

But I highly doubt I will ever stop eating cookie dough :p

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
I don't kiss any of my reptiles, but I'll give kisses to my dog on the top of her head :)

amanda712 said:
Why has no one mentioned SALMONELLA?? I mean, kissing my dog on the head is one thing, but reptiles are known for carrying salmonella

The way I see it, I could get salmonella more easily from eating cake batter or cookie dough than kissing my animals :p Still don't kiss my tortoise, though,

I love cookie dough.... :D

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
From my cold dead hands, will you take my raw cookie dough.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
amanda712 said:

I know a girl who got a whopping case of salmonella from kissing a friend's baby...weird, huh?

Heliopteryx

5 Year Member
Terry Allan Hall said:
amanda712 said:

I know a girl who got a whopping case of salmonella from kissing a friend's baby...weird, huh?

How did they know it was from the baby?

Status
Not open for further replies.