Do you have a digger?

Ezarate

Location (City and/or State)
Grand junction
Tortellini, 1yr 3months.
looks so proud of himself!?
Both the mother and father do not dig. The other babies also did not dig, including the ones that were 4yrs+
This one does, the digger of the family.
What are some solutions to keeping a digger safe in the yard once they get old enough to dig under fences? IMG_20180608_155758.jpg IMG_20180608_155815.jpg IMG_20180608_160131.jpg

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Keep in mine that tortoises don't dig to escape. If he digs under a fence he won't come up on the other side. Charlie was a digger. He dug his first burrow in a little fenced off yard I put him in when we first moved into this house. He was about 5 years old then. He started digging underneath a plant and within a few days he had a nice burrow. He used it until it collapsed. Then he dug another under the fence into our neighbor's yard. The neighbor saw it and made us fill it in, then installed a new wall between our properties sunk 3 feet down. Then Charlie went back into the small fenced off yard and started another burrow that went under the patio. That burrow ended up being huge and turned and went under our house. He used it for several years. Then we worried our house would collapse so we had to have it filled in. After that, Charlie didn't dig another burrow for a long time. We built him a night box and another "day" box that was open on one side and put this day box where we wanted him to dig. He stays in there sometimes but has never dug there. It had been years since he dug, so I was thinking we had solved the digging problem by providing him with protection from temperature extremes. Then about a month ago I opened the gate to the small fenced in yard that we had blocked off since we filled in the last burrow. Guess what he did? It had been years but he started digging again! It wasn't too hot or too cold but something about that yard reminded him to dig. He worked on that burrow for most of a day and part of another. Patiently I waited, and once he left the yard, I closed the gate! He hasn't started digging anywhere else. It's just that place!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I provide Dudley (110lbs) with an insulated, heated shed, and there's a very big shrub in his pasture. He's quite satisfied relaxing under the shrub or vegetating inside his shed. In the years I've had him he's never once started to dig. (Knock on wood)

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
My sulcata just turned 3 and has never tried to dig. Ever since I got him I would place him in his humid hide every night. He eventually started going in himself every night. When he was old enough to start spending full days outside I got him a small dog house which he loves. Here are some pictures from 2016
IMG_1528513645.854965.jpgIMG_1528513720.554253.jpgIMG_1528513766.279384.jpgIMG_1528513823.940885.jpg