"forcing" my RT to stay out of hide OK in cold months?

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hello.I bring Digger our of his hide every morning and he enjoys the basking light and nibbles on his lettuces/greens/cactus and (yummy) squash. He is not eating a lot but he does eat..but then runs back to the hide to dig down in the dirt under the blanket of timothy. I took the temp today and the nest he has made is about 68....can I close off the hide for a determined amount of time to "make" him stay our of the hide or is he just doing what RT's do this time of year? The basking light is 100 watt over his terracotta plate - the temp is around 95 so I know it is warm enough. I had been giving him a warm bath every other day but it looks like a 5-10 year old can go longer..... I think I was going every other day just to make sure he was up, drinking and not slumbering. I might ask: since he doesn't seem to want to move around much this time of year, would it be easier to control the temps and lighting in his old 20 gallon instead of this open torty palace??? He isn't benefiting from the area right now and I seem to be having trouble keeping everything within range to keep him moving....the lady at the pet store said it sounded like he was just normal but I still worry. The Digger man is a good litlle buddy and I don't want to do something wrong.... . thx...appreciate all the advice :0):D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you want him to stay up all winter and not burrow away in his hide, bump up the temps in his hide. My Russian is out on his own every morning waiting for food. He wanders and digs and acts like a Russian that doesn't know its cold out

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
One of my Russians was out ALL night in the rain while it was 56 outside. When I checked on him at 6 or so, he was chillin so I thought he would go inside when the rain started. Nope. The next morning at 6am there he was in the rain and cold. I brought him inside for the day and he is fine. Tonight it will get down to 22 f here in Dallas. I think I will bring the boys in for the next few days. I don't trust a big drop like that. They are going to hibernate in the warehouse I work in.

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
Wellington:the hide side has on ovethead lid- so it is an enclosed wooden box with an opening into the table side which is open/covered by a hinged heavy wire top. The ambient temo of the house is 70-73. Would I take the timothy out of his hide side and put a heater in there? How much warmer would you make it go? I thought if I closed it off he could digg but still be exposed to the sunlight bar and heat lamp. He seems to have no pro:)blem digging if he wants privacy! Lol

bigsteaks

5 Year Member
Deptford NJ
i have three RT's and one is definitely displaying the same behaviors. i have to physically pick him up everyday and bring him to the basking area. sometimes he nibbles on his food most times he heads right for the hide. my table is setup same way yours is hide box integrated in to large table. there are multiple temp zones with the box being the coolest area about 67 degrees.

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
I do too. I give yim a bath every other day and give him nice sunning time and his favorite greens with some squash occasionally. He seems content, loves it when we talk to him then wanders over into bed! He actually has been digging deeper like he is trying to hide from me. He is such a sport and seems cine...just groggy. I got the extra lights but it didn't seem to make a difference. I am considering putting him back in his 20 gallon so I can control the heat and light better. It is harder with the open tortie table.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I wish mine were more friendly. They all hate me and will stay locked up tight for half an hour if I even get close to them. The little girl I just got is a bit better but not much. She has gone feral, lol. Still love to watch them work (when they don't see me that is) and play in their garden.