do sulcatas do better with other tortoises of the same species

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoverpilot

5 Year Member
I have a large male about 150 pounds and was looking for some feedback if I should get another large sulcata and should it be a female or do they do ok by themselves.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
You are better off to leave him by himself. They don't require company, and will do just fine solitary.

Large males will fight with each other and bully each other and can cause some serious damage, even death. If you get a female, he will breed her constantly and can literally breed her to death. If you could get several females, it might work, but good luck. Females are extremely hard to find and literally cost their weight in gold. They would cost thousands of dollars each, IF you could find someone willing to part with them.

hoverpilot

5 Year Member
I am not into breeding so I guess he will be by himself. I have had sulcatas before but never this big. He is like a VW with legs..:)Thank you so much for the information.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi hoverpilot:

I have seen pictures of a large sulcata with his shell broken, caved in, on the side from being rammed by another sulcata same size. I've been trying to find them again so I can post them here, but can't remember where I saw them.

They actually do quite well alone. That way they don't have to share the best hiding place or the food.

He's not lonely. That's a human emotion. :D

hoverpilot

5 Year Member
I had no idea how much a big sulcata can eat until I got Rocky. He was actually given to me by a young man who could not keep him anymore.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Marianne:

I have one about 110lbs. Dudley is around 21 years old. I got him when he weighed 35lbs. He's still growing, albeit quite slowly. He only gained 11lbs last year.

This was Dudley and my sister, Maggie 2 years ago when he weighed around 95lbs:

DudleyandMaggie.jpg

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
They Do Better Alone, If You Have Other Males They Will Fight Or Bully Each other Until One Gets Hurt!
Your Best Bet Is Getting A Couple Females, But They Usually Cost Around 2500 Each,
Im With What Everyone Else Said Already :)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
hoverpilot said:
I have a large male about 150 pounds and was looking for some feedback if I should get another large sulcata and should it be a female or do they do ok by themselves.

Get him a boomer ball...that's the big solid plastic ball you see bears and big cats bat around in zoos...excellent playmate for large sulcatas...it'll keep him entertained for hours.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ooh! Good idea Dean.

We've been very patient hoverpilot..., but I think its time for some pics. :) We had a thread not too long ago about this weird size limit on sulcatas. It seems like many of them hit 32" and very few ever pass that mark. Kind of weird and arbitrary, but that's how it is. Ever put a tape measure under Rocky? How do you know he weighs 150?

Oh yeah, if you don't want 3 or 4 females in there breeding all the time, then keep him a bachelor. He'll be just fine that way.

hoverpilot

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Ooh! Good idea Dean.

We've been very patient hoverpilot..., but I think its time for some pics. :) We had a thread not too long ago about this weird size limit on sulcatas. It seems like many of them hit 32" and very few ever pass that mark. Kind of weird and arbitrary, but that's how it is. Ever put a tape measure under Rocky? How do you know he weighs 150?

Oh yeah, if you don't want 3 or 4 females in there breeding all the time, then keep him a bachelor. He'll be just fine that way.

I will get you some pixs tomorrow. I have been looking for my photos of rocky but I have over 9000 on my mac and I am not sure which folder I put them in. I have never measured Rocky but he almost filled the back of my Kia Serranto when I brought him home and it took 2 men struggling to lift him out and into his yard. I will get some pixs tomorrow so I apologize for being remiss on getting his photos into the forum but I have a good excuse for today. I do microchipping for our local animal shelter and help with adoptions. I was there from 10-3ish and we only did one adoption..bummer. too many animals, to much breeding and not enough homes. I think I will keep him a bachelor since I do have 5 other torts. 2.3 I think..
or is 3.2...:)
Marianne

hoverpilot said:
Tom said:
Ooh! Good idea Dean.

I will get you some pixs tomorrow. I have been looking for my photos of rocky but I have over 9000 on my mac and I am not sure which folder I put them in. I have never measured Rocky but he almost filled the back of my Kia Serranto when I brought him home and it took 2 men struggling to lift him out and into his yard. I will get some pixs tomorrow so I apologize for being remiss on getting his photos into the forum but I have a good excuse for today. I do microchipping for our local animal shelter and help with adoptions. I was there from 10-3ish and we only did one adoption..bummer. too many animals, to much breeding and not enough homes. I think I will keep him a bachelor since I do have 5 other torts. 2.3 I think..
or is 3.2...:)
Marianne

Oh Tom by the way, since you are a dog trainer can you come to my house and help me with some of my rescue dogs with major resource guarding issues. I do foster and run a rescue as well to include: 5 horses, 5 dogs, 7 hens, 2 roosters, 6 tortoises and a cat. I think that covers all of them today. :)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
DeanS said:
hoverpilot said:

Get him a boomer ball...that's the big solid plastic ball you see bears and big cats bat around in zoos...excellent playmate for large sulcatas...it'll keep him entertained for hours.

Nice idea, I like that!

hoverpilot

5 Year Member
Laura said:
where did you post the pic? I dont see it...
It is on one of the threads..I know it is there since a few folks have commented on it.

Here is another pix.IMG_0920.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.