Do Russians have a light preference?

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Recently, we upgraded my Russian’s enclosure to a size of 16 square feet. We got him an Exo Terra 125W UV Solar Glo mercury vapor bulb (with a large reflector dome) for the center of the enclosure that gives off heat too. But to make sure he received enough heat and light, we kept his old, smaller heat lamp closer to one of the corners (it's an Exo Terra 75W Intense Basking Spot). Both have a flat basking rock underneath. We measured the temperature/humidity under both bulbs and it’s pretty similar. The mercury bulb is more white-colored, and the smaller bulb is more yellow-colored.

I know he likes being in his corner, but why does he spend so much more time under his smaller heat lamp? I want him to get more of the UVB rays under his mercury vapor lamp… Is the slight difference between the two temperature/light/heat/humidity environments that's still enough for him to notice a difference? Is it the color of the light (and can he see in color)? ;D I would think the 125W would be warmer... Or does he just like his corner and feels safer there? … Just looking for any input from past experience. :)

Obviously I just want to make sure that he gets enough UV. I’ll be taking him outside (to his personal garden) during the summer for as much sunlight as I can get him, so he won’t be entirely denied of it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are many reasons why a tortoise chooses any particular spot. No one can say for certain why your guy likes that one spot over another.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
He'll get a lot of UV this summer. You can only do so much for them...it seems to me they always do the opposite of what I want >50% of the time.;)
Hmmmm....

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
If he likes that corner maybe try switching the bulbs placing the UVB bulb in the corner and see if he stays there. Of course adjust it to the right basking temps etc. Tortuga has favorite spots too especially to sleep at night.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I know my Russian Franklin likes perimeters, when he goes out in the summer he will go until he finds a wall and then follows it. Some in his enclosure laps after laps. I don't know if it's an instinct thing but I don't think he likes behind exposed out in the open, maybe your lil guy is the same? I agree you could always switch the lights see what happens

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
lynnedit said:
He'll get a lot of UV this summer. You can only do so much for them...it seems to me they always do the opposite of what I want >50% of the time.;)
Hmmmm....

When it comes to not escaping, definitely! XD

Sounds like each tortoise picks his or her spots! He did like the corner back in his glass tank too. It must be his thing! :D