Do Russians dig multiple holes?

bitort

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas NV
I plan on leaving my tortoise to roam the whole backyard without a pen. I've seen the half trash can/ cement block ideas that I like. If I provide one will it use it or make another burrow on its own. I know I should put chicken wire or wooden box where the tortoise will have it burrow. How far down do I have to dig? How far do Russian tortoise usually dig?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I have 1.3 Russians in an outside yard. Their yard has clumps of grass. It is my experience with MY tortoises that they choose a clump and dig down into the roots each night. Seems like it's a different clump each time. They also have two man made hiding places, but they prefer the dirt under the grass clumps.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Russians don't have a burrow like sulcatas. They dig in wherever. I put all of mine into a secure night box that is heated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I plan on leaving my tortoise to roam the whole backyard without a pen. I've seen the half trash can/ cement block ideas that I like. If I provide one will it use it or make another burrow on its own. I know I should put chicken wire or wooden box where the tortoise will have it burrow. How far down do I have to dig? How far do Russian tortoise usually dig?

I think you will lose him if you do this. I would contain him in a large section of the yard and put him in a secure latchable box each night. As we near fall, he will dig in and you won't find him. Then our inconsistent winter temps and rain could very well lead to his death.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I'm with Jodie, Yvonne and Tom on this one with russian tortoises. They don't create a burrow proper like a sulcata or leopard tortoise will create. They are more prone to make a scrap next to a cluster of tallish grass or next to a wall type thing. And maybe, by accident they'll use it more than 2x's in a week, but that will be an accidental use and you be more likely to find one of the other tortoises using it. Also, creatures of the night love these little packages of food to work on eating. That means, legs and loss of blood that can be avoided. Lock them up at night if you can't provide full on critter protection.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
My Russians must be the odd ducks. my Russians use the hides at night time I provide but during the day they will dig down wherever it suits them. I also agree with containing in a very large pen rather then letting it run around your backyard you're going to lose it sooner or later

bitort

Las Vegas NV
Thank you for all of your advice. I'll make an area. My backyard is tiny. Maybe like 10' by 15' with most of it being concert.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Thank you for all of your advice. I'll make an area. My backyard is tiny. Maybe like 10' by 15' with most of it being concert.
You are in Las Vegas? Is the fence around your yard concrete or wood? My friend in Phoenix has walls made out of stone or concrete because the wood doesn't handle the hot temperatures. I wasn't sure if Vegas was the same.
Your Russian may not get out of your yard but will there be sufficient places for him or her to borough down and stay cool? What sort of plants do you have there if any? Any shade?
My Russian tortoise basically has two different places she goes to to sleep at night and her outdoor pen. They are both man-made with plastic covers and dirt that she digs down into. However my pin is covered with hardware cloth. So nothing can get in there. Depending on what predators you have there your backyard may not be secure enough.
I bet there are other members of the forum here from Las Vegas. Maybe you can talk to some of them and see what they do.

bitort

Las Vegas NV
You are in Las Vegas? Is the fence around your yard concrete or wood? My friend in Phoenix has walls made out of stone or concrete because the wood doesn't handle the hot temperatures. I wasn't sure if Vegas was the same.
Your Russian may not get out of your yard but will there be sufficient places for him or her to borough down and stay cool? What sort of plants do you have there if any? Any shade?
My Russian tortoise basically has two different places she goes to to sleep at night and her outdoor pen. They are both man-made with plastic covers and dirt that she digs down into. However my pin is covered with hardware cloth. So nothing can get in there. Depending on what predators you have there your backyard may not be secure enough.
I bet there are other members of the forum here from Las Vegas. Maybe you can talk to some of them and see what they do.

Yes our walls are made of the concrete blocks. I have a 2ft wide of dirt surrounding the yard and a corner of dirt that's 4x4. I plan on digging that area up and putting a plastic storage bin filled with the dirt for it to dig into. I've also planted a purple foundation grass and deer grass for shade. That corner of the yard only get direct sun light for 4 hours on the day. I've search and search for picture or blog for just in Las Vegas outdoor enclosure and there's only a few. I'll probably just have to personally email a few people.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
He will probably dig at the base of the wall. Is this an apartment? Can you bring in a big load of dirt?

bitort

Las Vegas NV
He will probably dig at the base of the wall. Is this an apartment? Can you bring in a big load of dirt?
No it's a house. I have dirt. I was told I could file the plastic tub with dirt so it could dig in there if it wanted.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ahh… Now I see what you've got going there…

Like Grandpa said, your tortoise will likely dig in all of that dirt, not only in the place where you want him too.

Vegas gets REALLY hot in summer, so you are going to need a place for him to get underground on those 100+ days. That tub can work, but bury it deep and cover the top with 18" of dirt. I would also add a large shade umbrella to the whole area in summer. Here is what I did at my place, just to give you some ideas. My climate is similar to yours.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/

For some general digging info:
My russians never dig down more than about 8-10", and most of the time they just go a few inches below the surface. They don't dig "burrows" the just sort of dig themselves down in to the dirt, kind of like a halibut burying itself in the sand. When they emerge, there will not be a hole. Just some loose dirt. Your tortoise is likely to dig in any of that dirt.

bitort

Las Vegas NV
Ahh… Now I see what you've got going there…

Like Grandpa said, your tortoise will likely dig in all of that dirt, not only in the place where you want him too.

Vegas gets REALLY hot in summer, so you are going to need a place for him to get underground on those 100+ days. That tub can work, but bury it deep and cover the top with 18" of dirt. I would also add a large shade umbrella to the whole area in summer. Here is what I did at my place, just to give you some ideas. My climate is similar to yours.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/

For some general digging info:
My russians never dig down more than about 8-10", and most of the time they just go a few inches below the surface. They don't dig "burrows" the just sort of dig themselves down in to the dirt, kind of like a halibut burying itself in the sand. When they emerge, there will not be a hole. Just some loose dirt. Your tortoise is likely to dig in any of that dirt.
Thank you. I really like your idea. I'm just not really handy. Maybe my dad could build one in the future. Great idea on the umbrella. I really appreciate the help. It's all starting to make more sense.