Do I need this huge water thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debster

5 Year Member
LF.jpeg

Attached is a picture of Lightning Fluff next to the huge water, uhm, tub? thing that I was sold by the pet store... We have a shallow drinking dish (white, to the left, oops! gotta clean out that dirt!) in her enclosure too.

From what I have read, El is unlikely to voluntarily soak in the large tub, despite the oh so convenient in and out ramps, true? If the shallow water dish is sufficient, I would like to take out the large tub so she has more space to explore. (happy to leave it in if appropriate).

She has been out & about exploring her new home, although she hasn't eaten yet. I want to give her the space she needs!!

Thanks!!
Debster

2.1 humans
0.1 tortoise

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I use plant saucers. Usually I'll use the plastic ones that look like terra cotta. Get one that's a little bigger than your tortoise and dig it down into the substrate so it's level with the substrate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those ramp things are great for snakes and lizards, but they can be death traps for tortoises. I would remove it right away. Your white bowl is a bit small. Ideally they should have a shallow pool that offers good traction, that they can get in and out of easily. The terra cotta plant saucers that Yvonne mentioned are perfect, and they only cost about $2-3. They work best if you sink them down into the substrate, so the rim is level with the surface.

On another note, your enclosure is much too small for your tortoise. Did the pet store recommend that too? I'll bet they also sold you a coil type UV bulb too. Those can damage tortoise eyes.

Do some reading and come back with lots of questions for us. We'd love to help make you and your tortoises life a little better.

Flash2013

5 Year Member
I use terra cotta plant "saucers" they are shallow enough and more difficult for my little guy to flip over. [GREEN HEART][TURTLE]

Debster

5 Year Member
LF2.JPG

Tom,

Thanks!! I have been reading, and this is why I stopped feeding Fluff those pet store pellets, why I put clover in her food dish (the first thing that she actually ate), why I have given her a few warm baths, why I went back to the store to get a UVB light, and why I didn't get a coil light as the pet store recommended once I knew I needed UVB light. In short, it is because of y'all that Lightening Fluff is eating (just started a little while ago!!) and exploring her too small tank instead of hiding under the log under the substrate which fortunately, it seems, the pet store was right about!!!

The ramped water thing is gone as of now. Replaced by a terra cotta plant dish that may be a bit too big, but is level with the substrate, and certainly something she can easily get into and out of. Shallow water that she won't drown in.

*sigh* I can certainly see that the tank is too small. For the next month or so it will have to do.

Thanks so much to you and everyone else for all the support!!

Debster

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow Debster. You've been busy!

I'm glad to hear that LF likes the changes. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.