Do I HAVE to provide Calcium?

Justin90

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I've kept a piece of cuttlebone in the enclosure with my Dalmatian Ella (since December when I bought her) and from what I can tell, shes never touched it. Her having no interest in it, is that a good sign she doesn't need any or is it that she just doesn't know what it is? I've thought about getting calcium powder to put on her food...

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I've kept a piece of cuttlebone in the enclosure with my Dalmatian Ella (since December when I bought her) and from what I can tell, shes never touched it. Her having no interest in it, is that a good sign she doesn't need any or is it that she just doesn't know what it is? I've thought about getting calcium powder to put on her food...
Why buy calcium powder ? Buy a coffee grinder . Dry out egg shells on a paper plate for 24-48 hours . Then put the egg shells through the grinder until they are a powder . And put the powder over the torts food . I've been doing this for 17 years now . In the wild I believe a tort comes across a fallen eggshell it will eat it ! Cause I've never seen a tort fishing for squid , and cleaning the salt water squid to get the cuddle bone ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Many of them ignore cuttle bone for months or years and then one day they seem to "discover" it, and then its gone in a day or two. So no, to answer your question, ignoring the cuttlebone does not necessarily mean that your tortoise's calcium needs are met.

Whether or not to supplement depends on many factors. With the right diet, it is debatable whether or not any supplementation is needed. But are any of us really 100% sure that our diet is that good? I'm not, so I supplement with calcium just to make sure my growing tortoises are getting what they need. Cheap insurance.

All other things equal: A growing baby or an egg laying female is going to need more calcium than an adult male. So in my opinion, an adult male eating a calcium and fiber rich, weedy, leafy diet, does not need any calcium supplementation. A growing baby, or egg laying female on the same diet should get at least some calcium supplementation in the diet from time to time. I like to use a little pinch twice a week. Of course and 80 pound egg laying female sulcata gets more than a couple of pinches… but you get what I mean...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My tortoises live outdoors and I do not supplement. With one exception.
I leave cuttlebones out and they mostly get ignored. I routinely throw them away.
However, when I have females laying. Like I do now. They get eaten about as soon as I place a new one in the pen.
Just as important for a baby tortoise or an adult as calcium is the correct temperature and lighting so that that calcium can be absorbed and used.

Justin90

Texas
Taking part of the cuttlebone that I have, could I just grind it up and use that to sprinkle on the food?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
All other things equal: A growing baby or an egg laying female is going to need more calcium than an adult male. So in my opinion, an adult male eating a calcium and fiber rich, weedy, leafy diet, does not need any calcium supplementation.

What about a non-egg laying female? My girl sometimes eats a bit of cuttlebone; that's all I need to know to keep it available. She'll sometimes eat a snail shell as well. Since she eats all weeds now, I am not sure whether to worry about powder this year. She ignores food dusted with it and since she increasingly prefers to graze on her own, it seems like a wasted effort.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What about a non-egg laying female? My girl sometimes eats a bit of cuttlebone; that's all I need to know to keep it available. She'll sometimes eat a snail shell as well. Since she eats all weeds now, I am not sure whether to worry about powder this year. She ignores food dusted with it and since she increasingly prefers to graze on her own, it seems like a wasted effort.

In general, all other things equal, a female that is not producing eggs will have a lower calcium requirement than a female that is producing eggs. I would supplement less, and treat a non-laying female more like a male, as far as diet and supplementation are concerned.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I think having a cuttlebone in the enclosure at all times is just good practice. If they don't eat it you're not out very much money. If they do need it it is there. Cheap insurance.

Reactions: Tom

Justin90

Texas
Well I ground up the cuttlebone and put the powder on her food. Either she likes the calcium or doesn't care, she still mows down her food haha