What Hermann's do I have?

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
I found this male Hermann's a few months ago from, of all places, PetSmart (they normally have just Russians)...and for $90!!! Now, I'm looking to buy a female from a breeder in the future, but there's a problem- I'm having trouble identifying the locale or subspecies of my tortoise. Western? Eastern? Dalmatian?

Can anyone help me figure out what type of Hermann's I have, and why? Thanks!
20160727_195429.jpg
20160727_195447.jpg
20160727_195504.jpg

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
It's an eastern, no doubt about it.
I have diagrams pinned at the top of this page and an entire website dedicated to Hermann's.

HermanniHaven.com

The site explains in detail how to tell the subspecies apart.

When it comes to westerns, you notice them a mile away. They are very, very different and you'd probably never, ever see them for $90. Brand new hatchling westerns are at least quadruple that price, so imagine what one that size would cost.

Hope the site helps.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
They have more than Russians quite often at Petsmart. Thats why they changed the tag on them to "Testudo Tortoises".

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
They have more than Russians quite often at Petsmart. Thats why they changed the tag on them to "Testudo Tortoises".
Thats true! Matter of fact, not ince have a seen any Greeks. Even Petco only has Russians. The only reason that I picked up my tortoise from PetSmart was cuz it was the very first Hermanns AND for a cheap price!

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
It's an eastern, no doubt about it.
I have diagrams pinned at the top of this page and an entire website dedicated to Hermann's.

HermanniHaven.com

The site explains in detail how to tell the subspecies apart.

When it comes to westerns, you notice them a mile away. They are very, very different and you'd probably never, ever see them for $90. Brand new hatchling westerns are at least quadruple that price, so imagine what one that size would cost.

Hope the site helps.
Thanks alot! And I will check out the site.
My tortoise was the only Hermann Ive ever seen at any pet store. You mostly seen Russians more than any other mediterranean species. And whats more, a hermanns for $90 as opposed to $200 or more at other sites. I seriously lucked out!

Now its just a matter of finding the right eastern female. I tried looking up the turtle source, but theres are pretty generic for the most part. Perhaps kingsnake.com?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Thanks alot! And I will check out the site.
My tortoise was the only Hermann Ive ever seen at any pet store. You mostly seen Russians more than any other mediterranean species. And whats more, a hermanns for $90 as opposed to $200 or more at other sites. I seriously lucked out!

Now its just a matter of finding the right eastern female. I tried looking up the turtle source, but theres are pretty generic for the most part. Perhaps kingsnake.com?
Yup eastern hermanns. Petstores have 3 kinds of tortoises I see often Russian Hermann and reds. 90 dollars isn't bad price. You can find Easterns around that price sometimes cheper. Got a few for 60. Dlamation and westerns are a little more. Westerns are the rare ones. As far as female why not stay patient they are fairly common and you might be able to rescue one. Your male looks young as well. As far as generic what do you mean by that ? King snake is a classified section with multiple breeders and store ads.

Kyle

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
Yup eastern hermanns. Petstores have 3 kinds of tortoises I see often Russian Hermann and reds. 90 dollars isn't bad price. You can find Easterns around that price sometimes cheper. Got a few for 60. Dlamation and westerns are a little more. Westerns are the rare ones. As far as female why not stay patient they are fairly common and you might be able to rescue one. Your male looks young as well. As far as generic what do you mean by that ? King snake is a classified section with multiple breeders and store ads.

Kyle
When I said generic, what I meant was the name of the animals sold dont really specify the subspecies or even if its a possible hybrid. Pardon the confusion.

And yes, I dont plan on breeding anytime soon. I would love to get a female in the near future. Till then, Im also looking in to Greeks and Marginateds, but I especially LOVE hybrid or intergrade torts. Not for breeding, mind you, but I like collecting oddities to have as ornamental pets. I know once I saw a marg x greek intergrade a couple years back. Beautiful tort! Shame I didnt get a pic of it.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Most hermanns sold will be eastern. And if its a western or dalmation usually it's said. I don't blame you in love the little med species too. I have a Greek and Hermann myself use to have Russians but they eat so much and graze my yard to dirt every time I have them lol. Russians still are one of my favorites they are little crazy Torts. Greeks also one of my favs

Kyle

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
At the moment, my Hermann is penned with my 2 Russians grazing on clovers, cactus, herbs, and leafy greens I planted from Lowes a couple months in advanced. If I do consider the marges and greeks, Ill need separate pens cuz they will more likely hybridize. But any intentional mixes I intend to keep for myself. Same goes for American box turtles.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
At the moment, my Hermann is penned with my 2 Russians grazing on clovers, cactus, herbs, and leafy greens I planted from Lowes a couple months in advanced. If I do consider the marges and greeks, Ill need separate pens cuz they will more likely hybridize. But any intentional mixes I intend to keep for myself. Same goes for American box turtles.

Becarful Russians are very rough tortoises and males will ram and bite other tortoises. I wouldn't mix the Hermann with Russians. You may find your Hermann injured one day.

Kyle

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
Becarful Russians are very rough tortoises and males will ram and bite other tortoises. I wouldn't mix the Hermann with Russians. You may find your Hermann injured one day.

Kyle
No worries, its just temp. Besides, my male russian is only 4 years old, still very young. In any case, Im always prepared when it comes to splitting individuals. And although I do it with no problems, I dont recommend mixing species of any kind together, ESPECIALLY if there is limited living space despite similar care. I mostly breed geckos, more specifically, leos and AFTs. Not once have I had issues keeping females of both species together, only cuz I do my research thoroughly and have accomidations for everything to coexist peacefully. Males, on the other hand, I split no matter what! That said, once my male torts come of age, Ive already prepared indoor tubs and outdoor pens for vacancy.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You should really keep them apart in quarantine for a good 6 months. It's not good practice to introduce immediately. Too late now.

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
You should really keep them apart in quarantine for a good 6 months. It's not good practice to introduce immediately. Too late now.
Correct. Thats why it took me a seriously long while. 7 months to be exact! Also, had mine vet examined. And when it came to that, it really IS pricey. But well worth it to me. All my animals are in good health.

But yes, this practice should most definetely be avoided regardless of the circumstances. Its not my intent to offend or claim ignorance. So please, many pardons. Like everyone here, I have a strong passion for the very herps that we all love and admire.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
No worries, its just temp. Besides, my male russian is only 4 years old, still very young. In any case, Im always prepared when it comes to splitting individuals. And although I do it with no problems, I dont recommend mixing species of any kind together, ESPECIALLY if there is limited living space despite similar care. I mostly breed geckos, more specifically, leos and AFTs. Not once have I had issues keeping females of both species together, only cuz I do my research thoroughly and have accomidations for everything to coexist peacefully. Males, on the other hand, I split no matter what! That said, once my male torts come of age, Ive already prepared indoor tubs and outdoor pens for vacancy.

You should of quarantined too. But i guess you sound like you know what your doing. Or will learn from it.

Kyle

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
You should of quarantined too. But i guess you sound like you know what your doing. Or will learn from it.

Kyle
As a breeder, I take quarantining very seriously, especially with my geckos. The last thing I wanna do is risk my colonies to incurable deadly contagions like 'crypto.' And my torts are no exception either. Same went for my dogs. Years back, a buddy of mine made a mistake of introducing a dog he just adopted with my current pack and exposed them to kennel cough. Fortunately, it wasnt that bad and all my dogs were treated. Still, I couldnt walk them for nearly months just to be on the safe side.

Ive made some novice mistakes in the past, and each one was a learning experience. While admittingly, I do take chances even after "following the book" and so far it has served me well. At the same time, I do exercise caution, and do my best to educate friends and others when they come to me for a pet or advice.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Correct. Thats why it took me a seriously long while. 7 months to be exact! Also, had mine vet examined. And when it came to that, it really IS pricey. But well worth it to me. All my animals are in good health.

But yes, this practice should most definetely be avoided regardless of the circumstances. Its not my intent to offend or claim ignorance. So please, many pardons. Like everyone here, I have a strong passion for the very herps that we all love and admire.
That's good :)

All the best with them :)

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Not a good idea to just get one female. Two tortoises are a recipe for disaster. If you want to breed I feel a good ratio is 2 males to 4 females. Two torts leeds to bullying and stress.
The only way two will work is if they're kept separate and introduced for copulation.

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
Not a good idea to just get one female. Two tortoises are a recipe for disaster. If you want to breed I feel a good ratio is 2 males to 4 females. Two torts leeds to bullying and stress.
The only way two will work is if they're kept separate and introduced for copulation.
Funny you should mention that. I plan for the 2nd russian female next year. That and I need to expand my larger pen by 2 more feet.