DIY enclosure, need some experts.

Juliadernit

Location (City and/or State)
Deland, FL
20200913_195048_HDR.jpg

This is a temporary set up until I can build a tortoise table and i wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. Does this look safe? I feel like I should get a different basking lamp. Any suggestions are welcome.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
View attachment 306259

This is a temporary set up until I can build a tortoise table and i wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. Does this look safe? I feel like I should get a different basking lamp. Any suggestions are welcome.

It looks pretty good.

Is the cord securing the basking light? It's just a little hard to tell from the picture. Just don't use the clamp on the dome! They fail and fall into the pen.

I see the half log...is that his hide? He needs a humid hide that is all closed in except for the doorway. The log, open on one end, won't hold humidity.

The big problem is that he looks to be a hatchling. He needs to be in a closed chamber. It's not possible to achieve and maintain the proper heat and humidity he needs to grow healthy and smooth. I don't see any heat for nighttime, like a CHE. His temp at night should not drop below 80°F at any time or at any spot in the enclosure.

I really can't tell from the picture...is he a sulcata? Or a Russian? I hope Russian since you are planning a tort table.

In case you haven't seen it, here's the care sheet for Russians. If he is a sully, let me know and I'll post the proper care sheet.

Please consider the closed chamber...your baby really does need it, and it will make your job much easier too. We have help re' closed chambers if you want it.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
That tub needs a tight fitting with small doors for you to open to limit the loss of warm moist air. Otherwise that should last a while if it’s a Russian and it will make a great planter in your sulcata enclosure ?

Juliadernit

Deland, FL
Hi! Thanks for your input. I should mention I live in humid subtropical Florida and the enclosure is in my un-insulated Florida room. The humidity monitor reads correctly in the image. Its always humid and warm in there and because it stays so warm here all the time in Florida, I was told a CHE wasnt necessary and can even make them over heat.

It is a sulcata. I plan to monitor the humidity closely. I work from home and am here nearly 24/7. The wood hide was soaked in water before putting it in there for moisture but its very small and I do plan on getting a different one soon. Do you have any suggestions for one?
I appreciate all of your input. The person I got this hatch-ling from lives nearby and he suggested I not get an CHE due to our location.

It looks pretty good.

Is the cord securing the basking light? It's just a little hard to tell from the picture. Just don't use the clamp on the dome! They fail and fall into the pen.

I see the half log...is that his hide? He needs a humid hide that is all closed in except for the doorway. The log, open on one end, won't hold humidity.

The big problem is that he looks to be a hatchling. He needs to be in a closed chamber. It's not possible to achieve and maintain the proper heat and humidity he needs to grow healthy and smooth. I don't see any heat for nighttime, like a CHE. His temp at night should not drop below 80°F at any time or at any spot in the enclosure.

I really can't tell from the picture...is he a sulcata? Or a Russian? I hope Russian since you are planning a tort table.

In case you haven't seen it, here's the care sheet for Russians. If he is a sully, let me know and I'll post the proper care sheet.

Please consider the closed chamber...your baby really does need it, and it will make your job much easier too. We have help re' closed chambers if you want it.

Juliadernit

Deland, FL
That tub needs a tight fitting with small doors for you to open to limit the loss of warm moist air. Otherwise that should last a while if it’s a Russian and it will make a great planter in your sulcata enclosure ?
I should mention I live in Subtropical Florida and its staying in my humid and un-insulated Florida room. I am monitoring the humidity closely but even in my house on a dry day the humidity is almost always above 50%.

Juliadernit

Deland, FL
It looks pretty good.

And I can definitely do a closed chamber if necessary for my location. I plan on keeping them in my Florida room until they are big enough for the yard. I would love any info you have on closed chambers. Thank you so much.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
And I can definitely do a closed chamber if necessary for my location. I plan on keeping them in my Florida room until they are big enough for the yard. I would love any info you have on closed chambers. Thank you so much.

I am linking the correct care sheet for sulcatas. In it you will see that the humidity should never be below 80% at all times. The reason is that babies need to be very well hydrated to prevent kidney damage, and to prevent pyramiding.

The temp must stay above 80° at all times because of the dampness. Cold + wet = respiratory infection (RI).

This is a post I wrote a while back re' closed chambers:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My uninsulated "Florida" room stays in the upper 80s, low 90s during the hottest days and with some windows open, generally stays around 65% humidity plus.
Those parameters sound good.
You said "them".
You will have issues if you attempt to keep two Sulcata together in there.

Juliadernit

Deland, FL
I am linking the correct care sheet for sulcatas. In it you will see that the humidity should never be below 80% at all times. The reason is that babies need to be very well hydrated to prevent kidney damage, and to prevent pyramiding.

The temp must stay above 80° at all times because of the dampness. Cold + wet = respiratory infection (RI).

This is a post I wrote a while back re' closed chambers:

Thank you so much. I have the lid of the tote on top of the enclosure and its reading 82% humidity. The temp has fallen to 77 inside the enclosure so I have put a heated blanket under it and I plan to watch the temp tonight. I am reconsidering a CHE now, though I am still concerned about it over heating. So many people I have talked to about keeping reptiles/amphibians in Florida say they get too hot, but I'll keep looking for info on that. I plan to build a large indoor enclosure in the near future. Thanks again!

Juliadernit

Deland, FL
My uninsulated "Florida" room stays in the upper 80s, low 90s during the hottest days and with some windows open, generally stays around 65% humidity plus.
Those parameters sound good.
You said "them".
You will have issues if you attempt to keep two Sulcata together in there.

I said "them" mostly because I dont know the sex yet. I was told it is most likely a girl. Thank you for your input! Florida is so different than other places in the US, its great to hear from a fellow Floridian :D

nicoleann2214

NY
This is what I keep my sulcata in, its a grow tent. Several members use these and they come in many sizes. I highly suggest if you’re looking for a quick affordable closed chamber this is your go too! @Srmcclure

Attachments

• D8A08522-DE2D-488F-A281-BE814AFEE7ED.jpeg
    D8A08522-DE2D-488F-A281-BE814AFEE7ED.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 27

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I said "them" mostly because I dont know the sex yet. I was told it is most likely a girl. Thank you for your input! Florida is so different than other places in the US, its great to hear from a fellow Floridian :D
I'm down in south Broward.
I keep my Redfoot torts outside year round.
I take a lot for granted sometimes when I'm answering questions.
Its just sooo easy here.
Its 92% on my outside humidity gauge right now

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club

Juliadernit

Deland, FL

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
What we do is put the CHE on a thermostat set to 80°. That way, the CHE only comes on when the temp falls below 80, usually at night when the basking light is off.
Many of us like this one...

Good input. I almost wish that SELLERS would just build in a thermostat in their CHE “package”. It would be so much easier for newbie’s to grasp the idea of using the CHE/thermostat combo. Just like any other heating element that is controlled by a thermostat set to a specific temp.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thank you so much! I have ordered a lamp stand, CHE and a temp controller. I appreciate all of your help. :D

Excellent!

I should have mentioned that a CHE should go into a ceramic socket, in case you don't have any. You can get them at Lowe's or Home Depot. Walmart might have them...not sure.