Disgusting!!

phebe121

That is awful poor little guy well i hipe his nee home is awesome and the guy who sent him gets what he deserves

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hopefully he will get the max penalty. The bad part for the guy that bought it, is the one he already has doesn't need or want a friend to keep him company. Hopefully, he figures that out before more damage is done to the poor thing,

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I guess I'm heartless. I don't see much wrong with this other than the 18 hours it took. We ship tortoises overnight all the time. One way is to put the tortoise inside a tube sock, then in a box full of packing peanuts. I can't see much difference between taping in the cereal box and a tube sock.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Yvonne, you are so heartless.
I don't see much wrong with this either, did he break any laws? was it intentional, or just careless?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Prairie Mom

Some of the comments made me giggle, but ...ehh...I don't know guys...I'm uncomfortable with this too. (Is it weird that the duct tape gives me an added sense of "the heebie-jeebies'!?) It seems to show quite a bit of callousness for the animal. It's pretty clear that the animal is simply an object to be sold and shipped off without much thought, rather than an actual living thing.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
I guess I'm heartless. I don't see much wrong with this other than the 18 hours it took. We ship tortoises overnight all the time. One way is to put the tortoise inside a tube sock, then in a box full of packing peanuts. I can't see much difference between taping in the cereal box and a tube sock.
I think it is more that there weren't any packing peanuts or anything to soften (eventual) blows. Furthermore it wasn't even marked as containing a live animal. Something heavy could have been placed on him or the package could have been tossed around.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Ive seen the way some of my parcels have been tossed into my shed when the delivery guy thinks I'm not it (or doesnt give me time to answer) and just thought what if they're that rough with a tortoise because they didn't know it was a live animal. Also I feel like death warmed up when I travel to London in a comfy car and that's with frequent stops,food and drinks.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
sorry if this sounds harsh. but tbh i think the new owner sounds a bit clueless and should do some research. he's buying his tort a friend, sounds like a bad idea. hay for a russian to eat, and torts are slow, neither are true. the way it was shipped could have and should have been better. but i would think if they are allowed too much room or freedom in the box then they are more likely to be battered about than if they are snugly packed in to cloth bag, sock or snug fitting box and put in a bigger box full of packing foam and labeled appropriately, that would be the way i'd do it if necessary. but defiantly not one of my socks as the smell would comatose the poor thing lol

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
To me, the horrible part is not the box but the fact that the tortoise itself, was covered in sticky duct tape. That's cruel and unnecessary.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Ship a torts always come with some stress of the torts. But tape?? I'm not sure of it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I recently shipped a young Manouria to Florida overnight. When a tortoise is stressed he voids his bladder and evacuates his bowels. If you are on the receiving end of the shipment, this can be a pretty ugly mess when you open the package. So, I duct tape a new born size disposable diaper onto the tortoise. We've all had the adhesive from tape stuck on our skin at one time or another. What's so terrible about it?