Digging

Cedar09

Hi everyone!

It's been a really long time since I've been on this page. I have a question about my sulcata.

Unfortunately, my tort has been kept inside for most of his life. Of course with the right lighting and short trips outside but in man built, the best I could do with space enclosures.

Luckily the time has come that he gets to move outside!!! Yay but I'm concerned about how to build this enclosure because I've heard that sulcatas dig. Mine as never dug but I wonder if this is because he couldn't.

He's about 7 years old. Can he become a digger now? Or because he hasn't in the past, will he likely not?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thank you in advance!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If you provide a hiding place where he can stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter, you chances of him not digging are better. There's no 100% guarantee that a tortoise won't dig, though.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Yes, he can become a digger. It comes naturally to them. As Yvonne said, if they have a place to go to get out of the heat or cold, they might not dig. Charlie hasn't dug since we filled in his burrow about a year ago. I kind of wish he would. It is 106F today and I'm not sure he is very comfortable in his little hut. He doesn't seem to like it when I sprinkle water on him or under him.

Cedar09

Perfect! Thanks guys!

I think I'll give it a try and provide a couple different hides and hopefully he won't be a digger or at least not an obsessive digger.