Different species living together

leash_wish

5 Year Member
Is it bad for my sulcata and leopard tort to live together? They aren't too different in size for now and get along well. I don't intend on them living together forever, obviously I am concerned about size, aggression and humping in the future but right now they get along great. Am I missing something? This is a pic of the leopard sunning on the sulcata for size reference.

Attachments

• 1385701803943.jpg
    1385701803943.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 78

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Most species I would say no don't mix absolutely ever! But I think that sulcatas and leopards are fine as long as they don't show any aggression toward each other. Some people will say that its fine to mix species as long as there's not any aggression and thats usually because they have never a experienced death or disease from it. Some will say that you shouldn't mix any species and thats usually because they have had or heard about bad things happening from it. You will hear from others soon.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
Okay, here is what I oh-pined on the other thread:

Not a good idea. Together. Nopey-no. It's their demeanor. Apples and oranges. Sulcatas are awesome but they are "their own man" and leopards are generally more Zen. The bully factor may come into play and the bully factor is not always obvious, sometimes its rather telepathic and one tortoise will suffer from the stress. The bully factor has killed some tortoises. Sad. Now, separate enclosures/habitats, alrighty then. But that is double expense and if you plan for that, yes, go for it! Feed-wise, they are pretty much the same foods. Both are awesome tortoises in their own individual species ways. Together, these two, no way. : )

leash_wish

5 Year Member
Thank you for the link Bee Bee. I've only had the leopard for three weeks and had originally only planned on having the sully. This is definitely something to consider as I plan on building a new larger home for my growing guy :)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
I know of just as many people who have them together and have never had a problem as I do of people who have them together that have had issues. This brings you into the better safe than sorry relm. Do you take the chance that you will be one of the lucky ones with no issues or do you head it off at the pass and seperate them. The tortoises will not care if they are seperated, at least not that anyone has been able to judge the depth to which a tortoise cares about anything. Do what you feel is best and remember, if there is a chance, even a small chance of harm coming from them living together, do you want to take that chance?