Difference between Russians and Leopards.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
My Leopards almost never excrete urates. When I first got Scarlett and after her surgery, she did a few times. My Russians, I have had for better than 2 weeks now, and one of them does daily. The other usually in her soak. It is creamy, so I know this is ok, but was wondering if it is normal for Russians to have more urates than Leopards.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think it has more to do with history, diet and hydration level.

My russians don't excrete any more urates than my leopards.

Are you housing or feeding them differently? Most people on this forum keep russians drier than leopards. Might this be the case with yours?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
They are adults so yes and no. They have a humid hide just like my adult Leopards, but don't use it. I make my Leopards sleep in theirs because that is where the night heat is. The Russians sleep where they want to. The room stays in the 70's at night. Good to know though, I will work on getting them better hydrated. Their diet is similar, but I feed the large leopards hay with grocery greens right now and the Russians get some grass and fresh weeds with herbal hay on their grocery greens.
Is the humid hide in the 70's at night too cold? The room humidity is usually over 50% but the hide is 80% or better.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Your tortoise came from pretty bad conditions so it will take some time for them to get caught up. mine secreted lots of urates at first too but not now. I think it humid and 70 is too cold, put some heat source over that humid hide. they still might not sleep there :) sometimes you just have to put the Hyatt or the tortoise chooses to sleep. or put them in that spot at night before you turn the lights off.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
70's, not 70. I have a thermometer in there that records low and high. It's 77-86. What are the lows for Russians, I thought they could tolerate lower temps?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
They can. And that's actually not bad temps. But I wouldn't want it too wet and in the 70s. They can tolerate it down to 60 if it's not wet. I don't have any night heat but I have one of the hives directly under the heat lamp so it stays warm all day.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
And for some reason my Russian tortoise absolutely hates spahgnum Moss in her hide. When I put it in both of them she refuses to go in there. I gave it a month and she still won't do it so I took it out. I don't know how other people's Russian tortoises like it, maybe mine is just strange :) they don't really need much humidity. The top layer can be dry as long as when you dig down it's slightly more east. 50% is good. A couple months now and they will be able to be outside more, maybe. I can't wait for that time, I took the tarp off the outside pin so that the weeds planted in there will start growing again. But it's just too cold right now.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
And for some reason my Russian tortoise absolutely hates spahgnum Moss in her hide. When I put it in both of them she refuses to go in there. I gave it a month and she still won't do it so I took it out. I don't know how other people's Russian tortoises like it, maybe mine is just strange :) they don't really need much humidity. The top layer can be dry as long as when you dig down it's slightly more east. 50% is good. A couple months now and they will be able to be outside more, maybe. I can't wait for that time, I took the tarp off the outside pin so that the weeds planted in there will start growing again. But it's just too cold right now.
I saw your chicken poop post. Thanks for your help. I think I will start putting them in there at night.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I saw your chicken poop post. Thanks for your help. I think I will start putting them in there at night.
Russians are kind of funny. You build him a great hide and they dig a hole beside it. Other times they go right in and make themselves at home. It is the Russian attitude :) you'll love it or hate it. But there never boring :)