Diferences between sexes of Three Toes

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodsmeagol

5 Year Member
Mine are asleep so no plastron shots, but as I was confirming the sex of my new Russian via the internet, I decided to look up the differences in three toes, I remember just vaguely from what I read when I did a lot of research.
I remember males are brighter, more often red?

This one I believe to be male?
P3160016.jpg

And this the female.
P3170028.jpg

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arlington TX.
The top picture is most likely male, the bottom definitely female. Males are usually, but not always more colorful than the females. The male's carapace is not as domed as a female. There will be a concavity to the plastron, and the tail will be much longer. Females seem to be more rounded, and robust. They will have no indention on the plastron. Some older females that have been bred a lot will have cavities on the back third of the carapace. This is from the male digging his front nails into her in an attempt to hold on during mating.

-Matt

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You can't always go by head color, eye color or plastral concavity in Three-toed box turtles. The best way to sex them is the size of the tail and the size of the back feet and legs. Both are bigger in males.
Actually the small pits you see on box turtle carapaces are caused by ticks looking for a meal.

Danny

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Judging by the face I would actually say the first one is female. Plastron shots are needed to say for sure.

goodsmeagol

5 Year Member
kyryah said:
Judging by the face I would actually say the first one is female. Plastron shots are needed to say for sure.

Uh ohh
The 'girl' is hiding, but the male was out so I just snapped his
IMG02006-20100521-1232.jpg

Now I am worried I was not sold a 1.1 pair :(

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
We need to see pictures of the tail and the back feet. :) Can't tell much from that picture.

Danny

M

Maggie Cummings

My male three-toed has big beefy back legs and longer curved claws then the female. But most often you need to see the cloaca. Males have it closer to the body and females have it more out on the tail...or the other way around :D
But the first picture is a very pretty turtle no matter what sex he is...or isn't...:p

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
are there two differnet turtles in those pictures? first one looks female. last one looks male,

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I agree with Kristina :) Thats a female all the way :D

Danny

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
egyptiandan said:
You can't always go by head color, eye color or plastral concavity in Three-toed box turtles. The best way to sex them is the size of the tail and the size of the back feet and legs. Both are bigger in males.
Actually the small pits you see on box turtle carapaces are caused by ticks looking for a meal.

Danny

Danny, I usually agree with you 100%. I don't understand what you said about ticks trying to get through the carapace for a blood mean. I will have to disagree with you on that one.

Ticks would not waste their time trying to get through keratin and bone when they could travel to the soft tissue for easy access. I have found many ticks on box turtles and tortoises, all have been around the neck and legs.

You never find these pits on wild male box turtles. I have found hundreds out in East Texas and every older female had these, no males ever did.

I've seen males when they mate place their front claws in that exact place. The just wear down more and more over the years. It makes perfect sense if you think about it.

Why don't the pits ever occur anywhere else on the carapace?

-Matt

goodsmeagol

5 Year Member
Millerlite said:
are there two differnet turtles in those pictures? first one looks female. last one looks male,

Yes 2 turts.
first 2 - the one sold as male
last pic - sold as female

Status
Not open for further replies.